Rev 3 head on Rev 1 bottom end?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Kneel

Rev 3 head on Rev 1 bottom end?

Post by Kneel »

I have a Rev 1 turbo, I want a bit more power. Not a lot more :mrgreen: maybe 250?

Is a Rev 3 head a good upgrade on the Rev 1 bottom end? What else would need changing to support?
mrdb

Re: Rev 3 head on Rev 1 bottom end?

Post by mrdb »

The only main difference will be the cams, plus you will need a rev3 intake & exhaust manifold.

To get 250 bhp out of a rev1 you will need a Metal head gasket, free flowing exhaust, better intercooler, and about 1bar boost should get you in the region of 250.

Turbo is the limiting factor not the head.

I made 300hp with a hybrid turbo and 0.9bar still on AFm and 440 injectors.
Kneel

Post by Kneel »

Cheers bud, I know I need to change the head gasket if I up the boost, so I thought I'd ask as Rev 3+ had a lot of changes and made near enough 250hp standard.
kennym

rev 2 head

Post by kennym »

The rev3 had better cams and bigger injectors, this was the type of post that would have gotten a lot of response on here 10 years ago.

From what I recall a lot of people thought the rev2 head gave a better power/torque curve, but the general thought was once you were above std cams & fueling and with no tivis there wasn't a lot between the two heads.

as I recall you also hade to use a rev3 timing belt, as said there has been work done on this before so why not try a search?
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

Put on a ct20b from the gen3 engine. Run 1 bar boost. Enjoy your horsepower increase.
Kneel

Post by Kneel »

I tried a search and couldn't find anything. I might push the boost up a bit and see how it goes.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”