Help! Boost issues.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Madabout

Help! Boost issues.

Post by Madabout »

I am after some help please guys.

I am still new to MR2s and been restoring back my red rev3 turbo. It's oddity is it's running a rev2 engine with upgrades but I'm under the inpresssion full rev3 engine management and fueling, etc.

Took out this morning and gave it a good drive. Felt pretty quick but randomly twice when giving it beans on boost it felt like it was stalling, lurched as it occurred. Lifted off and then it was fine. To be honest when it was going on full beans it felt pretty quick and I was surprised that the electronic boost controller setting was setting 1.

Got back and idle is all ok but lifted bonnet to find the dump valve pipe had fallen off so guessing the sudden hesitation must have been enough to loosen that. Also the plug onto air filter had the brown wire hanging loose (only black wire connected). Would this cause an issue? Photo below:

Any ideas what the brown wire missing would have? I've wired it back in but not driven since.

The car has a turbosmart electronic boost controller. When I tidied the car up I noticed the boost pipe was bent and wouldn't have been working right so maybe needs sorting. Could this cause any issues as I've left the boost controller in what I believe is low boost mode.

Got this red hose where the jubilee clip is missing but no ideas where it goes.

The fan lid kit is blowing the fuse - it's 30amp but guessing it's a bad earth as blown the 2nd I fitted.

Thanks in advance for help and advice.
tiff_lee

Re: Help! Boost issues.

Post by tiff_lee »

I'd trace that red hose back to be sure you're not drawing in air through it.

With regards to the fan blowing the fuse, is the fan seized? got a multimeter to check for an earth fault?
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

tiff_lee wrote:I'd trace that red hose back to be sure you're not drawing in air through it.

With regards to the fan blowing the fuse, is the fan seized? got a multimeter to check for an earth fault?

Thanks for you advice.. I have traced the red hose and it's from the actuator. On the actuator there is a jubilee clip holding it on but it then goes to in gueasing a boost solenoid valve where it links to another hose. There is no jubilee clip here and I'm guessing under boost this popped off.

Would the actuator having free air like this cause the issues I mentioned.

Looking round the engine bay there is a few hoses where jubilee clips would help as the dump valve also has hoses, etc. missing them.

On the fan lid kit it was working fine but today light comes on the dashboard switch but fans not coming on. I tried an old 30amp fuse I had but wondering if it's worth buying a new one as the old one just popped.

Any ideas on what the plug connector next to the induction kit is and does? I've done a temporary fix I think but sooner see if I can buy a new plug, bit of wire, etc.
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

The fan lid kit will be fine, if in doubt disconnect them and plug each fan straight onto a battery. It will most likely be a short somewhere with that (which is why fuses are needed-to stop things getting damaged) so.

Can't really help diagnose the boost fault :(
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

I'm no sparky so don't know where to check on the engine lid. It was working fine till yesterday but popped the replacement fuse I fitted so I think it's a bad earth, etc. somewhere.

The loose hose from the actuator that should have been on the boost solenoid I need to get a jubilee clip on so it doesn't come off. I'm hoping that the issue. It makes sense as believe it would have been getting extra air in through the disconnected hose.

I've done a fix on the plug onto the induction pipe but be interested to know the purpose and what if having that brown wire disconnected would have caused any issues.
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

That sensor/plug in the first pic is the inlet air temp sensor although i'm not sure how much of an impact its feedback has on the engine management.

Without that actuator hose off yeah you would of had an air leak plus zero boost control.
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

tiff_lee wrote:That sensor/plug in the first pic is the inlet air temp sensor although i'm not sure how much of an impact its feedback has on the engine management.

Without that actuator hose off yeah you would of had an air leak plus zero boost control.

Thanks for your help. I was guessing based on my Mazdas it was likely the intake air take temperature sensor. I've wired it back in but not noticed any difference so far.

The hose off kind of fits with my ideas of it going like a scolded cat yesterday. as had unlimited boost I guess so must have been up to the fuel cut out. I hadn't use it in a week and felt pretty rapid. I was surprised as on the electronic boost controller it was only setting 1 (8/9 psi). Thinking about it in hindsight the boost bar on the bottom of the EBC wasn't moving when it was going super quick.

Today I went to Halfords bought some jubilee clips and went for a drive. It now feels a lot slower (still shifting though) on boost setting 1 of the EBC but I could not drive and boost through the rev range.

I also thought I'd try a new fuse in the fan kit and they did work. When I went for a drive though they stopped so guessing a bad earth as fuse had blown again. I have to get a sparky to check that as don't have a multi meter or skills on that.
chrismit

Post by chrismit »

Think you just confirmed below but yes without that plumbed into your actuator the wastegate would just not open and you will have spooled up until you hit the fuel cut.

When you say you could not drive and boost through the rev range what do you mean?
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

chrismit wrote:Think you just confirmed below but yes without that plumbed into your actuator the wastegate would just not open and you will have spooled up until you hit the fuel cut.

When you say you could not drive and boost through the rev range what do you mean?

Thanks. It was enough when the fuel cut off kicked in that the dump valve hose also slipped off so that's now got a jubilee clip to secure in place.

Sorry clumsy fingers I meant it could drive and boost through the rev range. Felt noticeably slower then when I had uncontrolled boost.

My fix on the hoses isn't the most pretty but appears effective so I have to find a more aesthetically pleasing option at some point.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”