4AGZE OEM HG

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperRedMR2

4AGZE OEM HG

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I need to change the head gasket on my 4AGZE prior to install.

It looks like its had a bit of leakage so just a precaution I want to change it.

However, I cannot find a head gasket other than MLS.

Is Toyota the only source for a standard head gasket, of decent quality that is?

Cheers
kaiowas

Re: 4AGZE OEM HG

Post by kaiowas »

There's nothing special about a GZE HG. You can use any of the multitude that are available for the n/a engine. Having said that I usually lean towards using a genuine Toyota HG and generally end up buying the full gasket kit so that I have new replacements for anything else I might need. I think I've also got an uprated aftermarket gasket of some kind (possibly TRD) that I'd probably use next time I need to replace one.
knocker

Head Gasket

Post by knocker »

Hi try TCB Trevor or Paul they supplied OEM for my SC
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I have found the Toyota part Numbers for both na and sc.

But Toyota do not open again til tuesday- just hope they can order me one by Friday.
Lauren
Premium Member

Post by Lauren »

I would only use OEM too and take Phil's advice about getting a head gasket kit as there are bound to be other gaskets and o rings etc that could do with being changed.

Toyota can usually get these parts in a couple of days or so.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I have bought only the essential gaskets separately, but will order the HG from Toyota. If they order it tuesday, I should be able to pick it up on Friday.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Cannot get a standard OEM HG before the 7th July....
jon_st205

Post by jon_st205 »

Could try the guys at http://hurleyraceengineering.co.uk - maybe they'll have one in stock.
knocker

HG

Post by knocker »

TCB will get it for you quicker and OEM. I use them for any OEM parts and they are usually at a lower cost.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I've ordered one from TCB but it's not a Toyota gasket, however it's being sent to me for tomorrow.

I've used TCB before and they are always very good.
Lauren
Premium Member

Post by Lauren »

If there is one thing I would only fit OEM it would be the head gasket. It's the kind of job you only want to do once really.

But your choice of course.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Well being told the 7th is July is ridiculous. I've bought Toyota rod bolts, nuts, timing belt guide and pulley to make up for it.

That lead time was for the 4age and 4agze head gaskets. So anyone needing one on the quick has no chance. Good price but 2.5 months is crazy
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

The Toyota parts system only gives a rough initial estimate though on enquiry, the delivery dates radically change the second they actually place the order on the system. I've had Toyota quote me 2 months delivery before but as soon as I actually place the order it refreshes as a week or two max.

I've been using Lancaster Toyota in Durham for over 20 years now and this has always been the way it works.

I am on first name terms with our parts department, I will place the order for a HG today and see what the actual lead time is for you. I'm always using 4a-ge HGs so no problem keeping one in stock.

I too would never use any other HG than OEM.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately I do not have that sort of familiarity with the Parts guys at Toyota and can only go by what I have been told.

I'll have my HG from TCB today so don't worry Paul. I've never used an OEM gasket and never had issues. I've even reused a metal HG and that's still running fine, but each to their own.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Out of curiosity, what is the Toyota HG rated to in terms of power? Mine will be putting out more than 145hp.
Lauren
Premium Member

Post by Lauren »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:Out of curiosity, what is the Toyota HG rated to in terms of power? Mine will be putting out more than 145hp.

Mine made 186bhp. You won't make over 180bhp with an early engine. The stock head gasket is absolutely fine.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”