Exhaust options for a 1MZFE mr2

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

juliankv73

Exhaust options for a 1MZFE mr2

Post by juliankv73 »

Hi

Just after some advice from v6 owners on what type of exhausts they fitted on their v6 builds I.e turbo vs NA or custom.

We have a 1mzfe that originally had custom manifolds made by AAS, but sadly the lovely rear backbox system originally manufactured by AAS was sold and an NA Mr T exhaust mated on instead ](*,), its fugly, very tinny, rattles when accelerated and it really doesnt do the v6 any justice soundwise.

We had previously bought TRD turbo exhaust but because the manifolds were custom made, it didn't fit, the pipe was out of line and there was a gap. So we have been stuck on what other options we have to replace the MrT NA exhaust.

The problem is compounded further by the MrT NA zorst being modified to fit a high flow sportcat. Even the sportcat was modified too. So we dont even have any reference points i.e so we can fit any NA or Turbo exhaust and am thinking we may need to have a "link pipe" made, just so we can then explore either having an NA or Turbo exhaust so as not to limit our options in the future.

Twin exit is nice a'la Berk Technology etc, but Im kinda liking the Nur Spec too. TBH we dont have a clue on what exhaust woulld be better suited to the V6, ive read that the Turbo exhaust being generally bigger bore to aid flow are noisier and such a large bore is not required on a V6. So I dont know if having a turbo exhaust will affect performance etc.

Any V6 owners care to share their experiences of their choice of exhaust and why?

Really I'm asking What type of exhaust would be best for performance and sound, i,.e NA or turbo?

Here are some pics of the current set up (with MRT Na zorst on):-

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Any help, suggestions on NA or turbo exhausts will be welcome. :pray:
SonicSW20

Re: Exhaust options for a 1MZFE mr2

Post by SonicSW20 »

Yep, the NA exhaust has been modified to fit so chances are nothing off the shelf will mate up to that.

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/199 ... haust-pipe

Looks like they've chopped it at 90 degrees on the 180 degree bend section and made up a custom 90 piece to fit the car. Only reason I can see for them doing that is the stock flange was too far in towards the middle of the car for the cat, or it doesn't line up so they had to make that bend radius larger or smaller.

Problem there is anything made for an NA or Turbo will need similar treatment, unless it has a join at the 90 degree position already like a Fujitsubo Legalis R.

Are you likely to want to change it again? You could go full custom, a good exhaust shop will be able to make it look and sound pretty much exactly how you want it.
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

Funnily enough I bought a fujitsubo legalis r, but sold it on as it wouldn't line up #-o

This was the back box that was originally manufactured by AAS

Ok so on good advice from Paul I'm going to look more into NA exhausts, as the turbo ones being free flowing will tend to resonate more and boom. Paul's kindly recommended a couple of options to look at now, but any option i go for will require some custom work to fabricate a link pipe to mate up to an NA exhaust.

I wanted to stay away from boomy exhausts, and wanted to hear more of the sound from the v6. So my options are buying an NA exhaust available ie mongoose, blueflame and a few options pauls recommended (just need to change the tips) or as I'm needing fabrication work anyways, go all custom ie go to Hayward and Scott, as they've made a few turbo exhausts, and have the CAD specs, would just need a link pipe made to fit I'm guessing.. :-k

or just go to AAS in Newcastle as they made the original backbox :lol:

Any advice, owner recommendations etc welcome to help me decide which option to go for :thumleft:
doogal44

Post by doogal44 »

Nurspec with cat and bung is absolutely perfect on mine, not to loud at cruise but roars when opened up.
uglee

Post by uglee »

Get AAS to make the proper backbox to mate to the manifolds anything else you will be unhappy with.

I had a Fujitsubo and to me it was still way too loud. Got Stuart at AAS to do mine on the 2GR and it was perfect.

Book it in and have a night in Newcastle :mrgreen:

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”