MK2 NA Bleeding Ally Radiator

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tsukijin-Akiyama

MK2 NA Bleeding Ally Radiator

Post by Tsukijin-Akiyama »

New to MR2's so bear with me. I'm sure this has been done to death but I can't find it.

First mr2 with the dead alternator is now behaving, passed MOT and is out and about thanks to the help of people here so I've gone back to working on my own one. 1991 NA tin top jap manual.

Stupidly bought and fitted replacement radiator for it some time ago from Japspeed as the oem one was shot to bits. Time came today to finally fill the system for the first time, after replacing alot of stuff, to find there is no bleed valve on the thing.

I tried to bleed it FTO style instead (jacking it up and running it leaving the cap off, heaters on full) once it reached midway temp it promptly spat all the coolant I was able to fit in absolutely everywhere. Not my finest idea.

Switched it off and noticed that the metal pipes under and to the front of the car aren't heating up at all and the heater is blowing cold. Attaching a clear hose to the heater matrix and opening that valve, I can get the coolant to come out there.

What am I doing wrong?
Draven

Re: MK2 NA Bleeding Ally Radiator

Post by Draven »

heating on hot,

there is a bleed valve in the middle of the car at the back of the frunk. put a little clear plastic hose on that then tie it to the top of the bonnet that will bleed your heater matrix.

The alloy rads don't have the bleed point, you can just run the car and watch the coolant rise and turn it off / put the cap on once it reaches near the top

Let it cool and do it again
Draven

Post by Draven »

Here.. There should be a clear hose in the frunk. if not washer hose works.
Tsukijin-Akiyama

Thanks :) we attached the pipe to this earlier, the coolant came out of it with tons of air, but the coolant won't go to the radiator at all whether this is open or closed.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Well, it might be that your thermostat is stuck, if the themostat isn't opening it might be trapping the air.

Did you jack the rear of the car up a little?
Draven

Post by Draven »

remember to let it cool between attempts else the coolant will just come straight back out.
Draven

Post by Draven »

It is a pain, and diffcult due to the lack of bleed valve but it can be done, I used to go for a quick drive around the block to move the air locks then let the car cool and do it again. You will get all the air out eventually
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Squeeze the radiator inlet / outlet pipes in the front and pipes in the engine bay to encourage the air to move.

You can use a funnel and a small piece of silicon pipe to insert into the coolant filler neck while open. This makes it easier to fill without introducing air, and lets the coolant expand and overflow into the funnel without making a mess.

Large funnel like this - http://www.diy.com/departments/active-g ... 264_BQ.prd
Tsukijin-Akiyama

We did indeed jack it up, and used a funnel too, we also tried squeezing the pipes but as the water isn't actually getting to them it doesn't do anything, the metal pipes running under the car are stone cold. I'm going to change the thermostat on Wednesday, then try again. Thanks for your help so far :)
qwakers

Post by qwakers »

tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Draven wrote:Image

Here.. There should be a clear hose in the frunk. if not washer hose works.

What's the deal with that valve on the heater circuit, on my Rev3 I have hot/cold control from within the cable yet that valve never changes postion, there is a cable connected to it but the other end seemingly goes to nothing?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”