Is a little whining noise from gearbox normal?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2_maverick

Is a little whining noise from gearbox normal?

Post by mr2_maverick »

Is a little whining noise from the gearbox when in low revs normal on these cars ?

As an example if going at 40 mph in 5th and accelerate there would be a bit of whining noise but at 40 mph in 4th there won't be any or even less when accelerating. Is this normal ? At high speed there isn't any whining at all. I am sorry I know I keep asking about noises etc but I just want to make sure I sort the car out before driving it as a daily.

I found this video, you can just about hear it after 0:21 as he turns and drives under 3k rpm.

https://youtu.be/wMgTwvtBn3I

Thanks.
pbmr2

Re: Is a little whining noise from gearbox normal?

Post by pbmr2 »

hard to hear but if the phone can pick it up then it's prob too much of a whine.

how old is the gearbox oil and what is it?
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="pbmr2"]hard to hear but if the phone can pick it up then it's prob too much of a whine.

how old is the gearbox oil and what is it?[/quote]

I did record my own car using a phone but didn't post because you can hardly tell in the recording.

I'm not sure how old it is as I only just got the car, I will be changing it to something called mt90 (I think from what I've read). Is there anyway of checking gearbox oil level?

Cheers.
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

I have managed to record the sound will post later. The whine is a lot more prominent in 2nd, 3rd and 5th gears.
Draven

Post by Draven »

I would get the oil changed in the first instance, generally replacing the gearbox oil tends to be ignored.
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

Just to add, the noise seems to go away when clutch is depressed although if it is only reduced then I couldn't hear it over the traffic noise outside. Will check later at night today on a quieter road.
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

Can I put in thicker oil or does it have to be 75w90? I was thinking 80w90 might help quieten the gearbox if it's worn.
Draven

Post by Draven »

mr2_maverick wrote:Can I put in thicker oil or does it have to be 75w90? I was thinking 80w90 might help quieten the gearbox if it's worn.

I wouldn't put a thicker oil in, as said before I would replace the oil with the correct spec and see if that helps, it may simply be worn gearing. if it is worn the only thing you can really do is refurb the gearbox
Draven

Post by Draven »

Are you sure it isn't the clutch that has worn? when the clutch meets the flywheel there is normally a rotational noise. It could be the clutch is on the way out and that is why the noise disappears when you depress the clutch
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="Draven"][quote="mr2_maverick"]Can I put in thicker oil or does it have to be 75w90? I was thinking 80w90 might help quieten the gearbox if it's worn.[/quote]

I wouldn't put a thicker oil in, as said before I would replace the oil with the correct spec and see if that helps, it may simply be worn gearing. if it is worn the only thing you can really do is refurb the gearbox[/quote]

okay. From reading forums it seems 75w90 is correct spec. Am I right ? Thanks
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="Draven"]Are you sure it isn't the clutch that has worn? when the clutch meets the flywheel there is normally a rotational noise. It could be the clutch is on the way out and that is why the noise disappears when you depress the clutch[/quote]

If I stick the car in 5th gear and drop the clutch the engine stalls. The biting point is fine. There is no clutch judder, I can move the car with just the clutch in first gear. RPM and vehicle speed rise consistently going up a hill with the foot down. It all makes me think the clutch is still ok however when I got the car the pedal was squeaky which has now gone after using the car.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

If it's the noise I think it is (can't really hear on the video) then it could be input shaft bearing, not unheard of as the boxes get older / do more miles. There is no magic oil to fix it.

Saying that though both my current NA and old NA suffer from a noisy box with the clutch engaged (suggesting input shaft bearing, clutch release would be noisy when clutch is pressed), my old one didn't fail in the 40k miles it covered with the issue, and my current one hasn't with similar mileage, although is also suffering from a worn 3rd gear synchro. Turbo conversion fixes all that though
:thumleft:
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="Gazza_DJ"]If it's the noise I think it is (can't really hear on the video) then it could be input shaft bearing, not unheard of as the boxes get older / do more miles. There is no magic oil to fix it.

Saying that though both my current NA and old NA suffer from a noisy box with the clutch engaged (suggesting input shaft bearing, clutch release would be noisy when clutch is pressed), my old one didn't fail in the 40k miles it covered with the issue, and my current one hasn't with similar mileage, although is also suffering from a worn 3rd gear synchro. Turbo conversion fixes all that though
:thumleft:[/quote]

I have got a recording now from which you can tell what the noise is like. I'll upload it later. If it was the input shaft bearing would it not become more apparent as the speed increases? Mine disappears mostly at high revs.

Is the turbo (E153) gearbox better and more durable than s54?

Also where is the filler port on an NA? I found a guide but it only shows the actual filler port, looking from the engine bay I can't figure out where the filler port is. Any idea where I should look? :oops:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

With both my old one and me current one I can't hear it at higher revs because the engine / intake / exhaust noise is louder.

Filler port is 33101A on this diagram - http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/199 ... mtm#33101A
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="Gazza_DJ"]With both my old one and me current one I can't hear it at higher revs because the engine / intake / exhaust noise is louder.

Filler port is 33101A on this diagram - http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/199 ... mtm#33101A[/quote]

Okay, I guess that's why mine fades out too.

Looking at the diagram, seems like the easy way to access the fill plug is from under the car? If 33104 is the drain plug then what is 33101-U?
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Yeah, easiest to get to from underneath.

33101U - PLUG, BREATHER

Gearbox breather plug. You can fill from here too, but you still need to remove the proper fill plug because the oil level should be within 5mm of the fill plug - in practice this means fill it until it starts to come back out of the filler hole.
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="Gazza_DJ"]Yeah, easiest to get to from underneath.

33101U - PLUG, BREATHER

Gearbox breather plug. You can fill from here too, but you still need to remove the proper fill plug because the oil level should be within 5mm of the fill plug - in practice this means fill it until it starts to come back out of the filler hole.[/quote]

I can't tell from the document or I don't know how to use it. Are all these plugs 24mm? 24 mm has been suggested on the forums before I think.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Yes, 24mm.

If they haven't been touched in a while then make sure you use some penetrating fluid like Plusgas beforehand, and use a good 6 sided socket. Don't use a 12 point otherwise you increase the risk of rounding the plug off.

Also make sure you can undo the fill plug *first*.
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="Gazza_DJ"]Yes, 24mm.

If they haven't been touched in a while then make sure you use some penetrating fluid like Plusgas beforehand, and use a good 6 sided socket. Don't use a 12 point otherwise you increase the risk of rounding the plug off.

Also make sure you can undo the fill plug *first*.[/quote]

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/laser-2 ... mm-1-2-dr/

Something like this would do?

Yes I will do the fill plug first otherwise I'll have no gearbox oil haha :thumleft:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Yes, you don't need deep for this job, or impact.

If you don't have a 1/2inch set of 6 sided sockets I'd highly recommend picking a set up.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”