My mr2 na has a horrible drone when warm and around 0.9-2k rpm

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2_maverick

My mr2 na has a horrible drone when warm and around 0.9-2k rpm

Post by mr2_maverick »

I don't know what it could be but the car has a horrible drone/bass when idling at about 850/900 rpm to 2000 rpm. I feel like I'm going to go deaf. The car sounds lovely at high RPMs. I do have a rattling heatsheild, could this be the problem? My ears are ringing :eye:
[email protected]

Re: My mr2 na has a horrible drone when warm and around 0.9-2k rpm

Post by [email protected] »

What exhaust do you have? Maybe it has a hole?
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="[email protected]"]What exhaust do you have? Maybe it has a hole?[/quote]

It's a stock exhaust I think. How do I check for a hole because it is not obviously visible when I look under the car.

Thanks
[email protected]

Get a rag/teatowel and hold it over end of exhaust briefly (its hot there) while someone revs it. If you can hear air/farting noise somewhere other than from the end of the exhaust there's a hole/blowing
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="[email protected]"]Get a rag/teatowel and hold it over end of exhaust briefly (its hot there) while someone revs it. If you can hear air/farting noise somewhere other than from the end of the exhaust there's a hole/blowing[/quote]

Okay will try that. Does the stock exhaust have one tip or two tips? Mine has two and it's a rev3.
[email protected]

Two. But one box where the two come out of
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="[email protected]"]Two. But one box where the two come out of[/quote]

Okay cheers I think that's what mine looks like
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

I blocked both tips and got someone to rev it but there was no farting or blowing noise from elsewhere, only the exhaust tips.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

it's going to be a heatshield then. there are a number of them around the exhaust and manifold. what normally happens is one of the mounting tabs snaps due to rust or vibration and then it resonates at certain points in the revs.

are you able to make it do it without driving? if so then you can use a pry bar or wooden pole to press on various heatshields to see if that changes the noise. if it does then you have found the one that is broken.
can also use a rolled up newspaper as a long tube, listen down the tube and point it around different areas, helps narrow the search area down.

they can be bent to shut them up sometimes but it depends where they are snapped. often removal and/or replacement sorts it.

Would suspect it's around the manifold area, it'll be the exhaust heat shields rather than the ones on the rear cabin wall. best to check them too though.
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="pbmr2"]it's going to be a heatshield then. there are a number of them around the exhaust and manifold. what normally happens is one of the mounting tabs snaps due to rust or vibration and then it resonates at certain points in the revs.

are you able to make it do it without driving? if so then you can use a pry bar or wooden pole to press on various heatshields to see if that changes the noise. if it does then you have found the one that is broken.
can also use a rolled up newspaper as a long tube, listen down the tube and point it around different areas, helps narrow the search area down.

they can be bent to shut them up sometimes but it depends where they are snapped. often removal and/or replacement sorts it.

Would suspect it's around the manifold area, it'll be the exhaust heat shields rather than the ones on the rear cabin wall. best to check them too though.[/quote]

Thanks mate. Yes the car does make that noise even if not driving. It is dependant on engine speeds. I'll check the heat shields like you've suggested and hopefully that sorts it out.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

you saying that, sounds very much like heatshields.
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="pbmr2"]you saying that, sounds very much like heatshields.[/quote]

I tried to slightly bend the exhaust manifold heatsheild which made a bit of difference so it is probably that. Thanks for your help.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”