[Mk2] [Turbo] Gated Shifter

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JLW

[Mk2] [Turbo] Gated Shifter

Post by JLW »

Hi Guys

Just thinking aloud here, but whats the complexities of making a gated shifter.
Im assuming it not just a measure and well cut piece of metal in the shape of your H box pattern ?

Never have driven a gated car, but I can only assume it would be great.
maybe my Turbo would like it :D

let me know your knowledge and thoughts, I don't have much of the former
but too many of the latter. :lol:

J.
yokomomr4bx

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Gated Shifter

Post by yokomomr4bx »

Seeing as nobody else want to look like an idiot here I'll give a thought!

In my head it would be as easy as cutting up a slice of stainless, in theory, but I think the challenge would be the H pattern would have to be to the natural resting position of the gearshift in each gear, and if yours is anything like mine, third is in the front bumper, 4th straight up and 1st and 2nd are a mm to the left.

Ok thats pretty exaggerated but you get the idea. My fear would be the neat H pattern you'd want would end up looking a little unequal etc.

I say that because I'm fairly certain if you were to make a neat equidistant pattern for each gear you would end up holding the selector fork in a position it doesn't naturally want to be in. I know fifth in mine doesn't like to be moved once its in there, if I apply light (feather light) pressure forwards and backwards against the gate I can feel the teeth rubbing each other through the gear knob, like a very light vibrating. Further to that if I lift off too harshly in 4th the jolt on the engine mounts likes to knock it out of gear unless I have my hand in front of it. Having said all this I am 90% certain that my gearbox, despite all care for it, is pretty knackered, but I know how to drive her to get the most, gives character ;)

So what I reckon is yes you could make up a surround for the gearstick to move through, but it would have to be shaped to the natural positions the stick rests in in each gear, or I think you'd end up wearing something out.

Now, hopefully someone will come along and give some better insight!

Actually regarding gearbox feel, I recently got a Quaife nylon gear knob and modified my stick to accept the thread etc, highly recommend that for making the gear change feel more direct.
JLW

Post by JLW »

Hi Bud

yeah I guess you probably wouldn't be able to make a set pattern and produce
loads as its kind of a one off item, as each cars gearbox has their own quirks
etc.

Probably more hassle than its worth, but hey. Don't ask the question and you
won't get an answer.

I actually have the Nylon TRD gear nob, came with the car and have no willing
to change, feels great.
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

You do see them for sale as they are used on ferrari lookalikes :roll: like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ferrari-kit-c ... SwhQhYzCmo
RyanRs wrote:
Skywalker wrote:explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic :shock:

Return to “Modifications”