Big brake conversion rx8?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SeanSw20

Big brake conversion rx8?

Post by SeanSw20 »

Hey i was wondering what options there is for big brake conversions apart from off the shelf options? I had read somewhere about rx8 discs ? There is a rx8 at my local scrappy I could get the brakes from if anyone knows what u need?[/b]
markstevieandmads

Re: Big brake conversion rx8?

Post by markstevieandmads »

standard toyota mr2 oem discs and carbotech or porterfield pads with braided lines, refurbed calipers and new fluid is all you need for awesome stopping power.

I always feel if you start messing around with brake sizing and mixing and matching then you can upset the bias between front and rear.
JD

Post by JD »

markstevieandmads wrote:standard toyota mr2 oem discs and carbotech or porterfield pads with braided lines, refurbed calipers and new fluid is all you need for awesome stopping power.

I always feel if you start messing around with brake sizing and mixing and matching then you can upset the bias between front and rear.

A bias adjuster is about £35-40 from a reputable supplier, but I'm sure a £15 Guangzhou special fried discount item would do the job just as well.

Remember that RX-8s have 18" wheels from factory, so you'd probably need at least 17s to fit them, depending on the particular wheel, of course. I don't know for certain and I obviously don't know what wheels you have. RX-8 wheels themselves look like aids and are too high an offset (+50ish?) for a W20. I'm not even googling pictures or anything, just doing a post. hth.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I'm pretty sure the RX8 disc conversion is just for the rears and is designed to work with a supra disc upfront and Nissan 4-Pots upfront?
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

JD wrote:
markstevieandmads wrote:standard toyota mr2 oem discs and carbotech or porterfield pads with braided lines, refurbed calipers and new fluid is all you need for awesome stopping power.

A bias adjuster is about £35-40 from a reputable supplier, but I'm sure a £15 Guangzhou special fried discount item would do the job just as well

And it would need to be setup properly or no point in having it at all. Too much hassle for me when the above is perfectly adequate for most applications.
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

markstevieandmads wrote:
JD wrote:

A bias adjuster is about £35-40 from a reputable supplier, but I'm sure a £15 Guangzhou special fried discount item would do the job just as well

And it would need to be setup properly or no point in having it at all. Too much hassle for me when the above is perfectly adequate for most applications.

+1
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

the rx8 and supra route has been done but caliper mounting brackets are needed for front and rear at around £100+, braided hoses about £80, half decent pads around £150-200, new discs at least £150 and then front calipers if you can find any for at least £150+ shipping and some rebuild kits @ £20.
so £700ish

with the quite good brakes on the sw20 you only need 4 discs £110, hoses £80, carbotech ax6 or porterfield r4s pads @ £320 and £230 respectively. so total cost of around 420-510ish.
all with the oem fitment and bias.

laid bare, it just doesn't stack up to build a mishmash brake setup when the off the shelf decent pads with standard plain padgid discs is a great setup for less money.
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Agreed with the majority above, upgraded pads, discs, braided lines and some fluid will rock your world and you will be able to run as little as 15" wheels, (unless you are also doing it for looks then you will need a minimum of 17", but most of the time 18" for the BBK).
I run porterfield pads, mtec discs, goodridge braided lines and dot 5.1, seems fine with almost 500hp :thumleft:
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

For most people the std rev3 brake setup is fine for the road. Even on track a good disc/pad combo will resist fade for many laps (carbotech xp8/porterfield R4, not R4S)

If you really want big brakes i'd go with WMS as you can still fit 16's under them and they have been designed not to mess with the brake balance.

Other benifits of the wms kit include, large reduction of unsprung mass compared to the std heavy calipers. Much easier pad changing and also if you are retarded like me and unable to rebuild calipers yourself no more bloody sticking front calipers.

I just wish they made a rear kit that came with a handbrake and let me keep 16's so I could ditch the horrible slider calipers on the rear too.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

i've got the RX8 discs (front) on the rear, spaced out stock rear caliper. Front is running Supra discs and 996 Porsche calipers. Car doesn't want to swap ends, stops fine, no more sticking front calipers every six months. Run stock pads and doesn't squeal or eat wheels with the dust and yeah stopping power is there. Brake bias pretty much standard by intention and careful caliper choice. It can be done but a very emotive topic.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Whatever the op does, its not going to be as simple as buying some old brake disks of a breaker RX8. :lol:

Plus who even made the adapters for the Nissan 4pot calipers and the discs in the first place? Can you even get them anymore?
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

http://www.deltav.com.au/index.php/comp ... 2&Itemid=1

a member on here made them locally, I got the rear brackets and spacer from him but he sold front and rear kits though sadly has moved on to other things. Not enough of a market for it as opinion on the need for this is so er strong :-$
SeanSw20

Post by SeanSw20 »

Wow thanks for all the responses, was just looking for something to fill out my 17s. Sounds like far too much hassle, will just stick to standard and follow the advice here I think lol.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

get something useful like these then

Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

pbmr2 wrote:get something useful like these then

Please don't [-(
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

lol
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

haha, yes that's usually how these threads go.

SeanSw20

Post by SeanSw20 »

That porsche brakes look amazing
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

raptor95GTS wrote:haha, yes that's usually how these threads go.

Didn't realise you had Crono wheels aswell :eye:
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

heh heh that's what got my attention on your wheel sale :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”