Have I bought an NA with an engine on the way out?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2_maverick

Have I bought an NA with an engine on the way out?

Post by mr2_maverick »

I finally got a rev3 na mk2. Before buying it the seller let me take it out for a long drive (40+ minutes). I didn't see any smoke in the rear view when revving it hard up a hill and then once we stopped I asked the seller to get in and Rev the engine and no smoke from the exhaust.

Today when parked I got the engine at operating temperature and I see some white smoke. It doesn't smell sweet or doesn't look like there is oil but smells like fuel as if you just started the car on a very cold morning. When you Rev the engine it smokes more. I took some pictures of the smoke is there anyway I post it here? If it was burning rich I thought it would be black smoke? When I turned the car off the white smoke/steam was still coming out.

Doesn't look like HG failure as there is no mayo on the oil cap or any sludge on the rad cap or on the coolant tube. The oil is clean. Heater works fine and the car maintains a good engine temperature.

The smoke looks like this but not as intense;
https youtu. be /5U7mFwndhk0
@0:57

Does your mr2 do this? :oops:

Thanks for your input.
caldridge7

Re: Have I bought an NA with an engine on the way out?

Post by caldridge7 »

Massive advice stop looking for problems it's all I did with mine and it's still moving 2 years on leave it alone, ps white smoke is coolant being burnt black is over fuel blue I believe is oil.

Overall when it smokes does it come out of the exhaust pipe and disapate? Or does it rise from the tail pipe like smoke from I fire would?
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="caldridge7"]Massive advice stop looking for problems it's all I did with mine and it's still moving 2 years on leave it alone, ps white smoke is coolant being burnt black is over fuel blue I believe is oil.

Overall when it smokes does it come out of the exhaust pipe and disapate? Or does it rise from the tail pipe like smoke from I fire would?[/quote]

When I Rev the engine it rises up but on idle dissipates and doesn't really rise. It is white smoke but if it was coolant it would smell sweet which it doesn't. I'm just confused why the smoke doesn't go away when the engine is nice and warm.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

How long has it been standing? Did you just run it upto temperature by leaving it running parked up?

Due to it's design the exhaust can hold a lot of moisture when not in use which can take quite a while to burn off if just starting and leaving it running. If it's smoking after being driven for a decent amount of time 20 minutes+ then you may have an issue
caldridge7

Post by caldridge7 »

I'd say keep driving it for a week as your normal would then on the weekend go for a little cruise come bavk and let it idle and see how much it smokes... If no smoke it's all good, like I said domt look for problems there normal ends up being no problem just your imagination.
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="thomp1983"]How long has it been standing? Did you just run it upto temperature by leaving it running parked up?

Due to it's design the exhaust can hold a lot of moisture when not in use which can take quite a while to burn off if just starting and leaving it running. If it's smoking after being driven for a decent amount of time 20 minutes+ then you may have an issue[/quote]

The car was started around 24 hours before this so it isn't standing there. I left it idle until the RPMs went down then revved it to 2.5k for a bit and eventually the temp up. I just started the car again and did the same thing but this time no smoke not even a bit.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

If it's not using oil or coolant, I wouldn't worry about it.
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="Charged"]If it's not using oil or coolant, I wouldn't worry about it.[/quote]
I havnt had the car that much to notice if it's losing coolant/oil. At the moment it doesn't seem like it but the dipstick is so awkward to look at, why does it have a twist in it :-k
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="caldridge7"]I'd say keep driving it for a week as your normal would then on the weekend go for a little cruise come bavk and let it idle and see how much it smokes... If no smoke it's all good, like I said domt look for problems there normal ends up being no problem just your imagination.[/quote] looking at a few videos online it looks like some 3sge engines are smokey. I'm not looking for problems but don't really know how this car is meant to behave.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

this time of year mine does it, gets worse when the plugs and dizzy need a service.

take it out for a good quickish drive for more than an hour and it should dry anything out. but most mornings on the way to work it plumes white smoke a fair bit untill it warms up.

Smokes a bit more if the wrong oil or old oil is in it. maybe it just needs a service.
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="pbmr2"]this time of year mine does it, gets worse when the plugs and dizzy need a service.

take it out for a good quickish drive for more than an hour and it should dry anything out. but most mornings on the way to work it plumes white smoke a fair bit untill it warms up.

Smokes a bit more if the wrong oil or old oil is in it. maybe it just needs a service.[/quote]

Not sure about the dizzy but the plugs were changed a year ago before I bought the car. The thing is mine still smokes after its warm. I'll take it out for a good drive at some point later and see how it behaves cheers.
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

The more I look at it the more blue it looks to me

http: //i.imgur. c o m/6Ek8v96. jpg
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

So the plugs are more than a year old, dizzy cap and rotor are older than that, the leads are prob as old as the paint on the chassis.

What oil is it running and when was that last changed?
That smoke does look blue in that picture.

You'd be amazed at how much better it'll run just by doing an ignition and oil service.

Have you checked for fault codes? The temp sensors cause all sorts of problems when they start to fail.

PCV valve could be dead, just letting lots of oil into the intake.

Could always compression/leak down test it to rule out anything major.
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="pbmr2"]So the plugs are more than a year old, dizzy cap and rotor are older than that, the leads are prob as old as the paint on the chassis.

What oil is it running and when was that last changed?
That smoke does look blue in that picture.

You'd be amazed at how much better it'll run just by doing an ignition and oil service.

Have you checked for fault codes? The temp sensors cause all sorts of problems when they start to fail.

PCV valve could be dead, just letting lots of oil into the intake.

Could always compression/leak down test it to rule out anything major.[/quote]

Will a leak down or compression test rule out oil leaking into the cylinders?
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

Check out my topic where I found that it was my oil control piston rings.

I had a crazy amount of smoke
phaeton

Post by phaeton »

To find it it's oil fnd a long downhill stretch of road, get up to about 50 then come off the throttle, coast in gear for about 100 years then stamp hard on the throttle, helps if you have somebody looking out the back window, in a car behind you or fix a camera to your boot. If it's using oil on the coast it will suck it into the bores & then when you stamp on the throttle it'll chuck it out the exhaust, be careful it's blue & not black.
benjo

Post by benjo »

This is exactly what mines doing but it stinks of Burt oil
On tick over
Too weird to live, to rare to die
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="benjo"]This is exactly what mines doing but it stinks of Burt oil
On tick over[/quote]

Sorry for the stupid question but does burning oil smell like diesel by any chance? I searched online and it said it should smell bitter or acrid(I don't really know what that means)
benjo

Post by benjo »

No doesn't smell like diesel best way to find out what it smells like
Poor some old engine oil on a fire,you would know if it's burning oil as
I would be using loads,I'd check oil top up if needed and just drive it
And check oil after a couple of days use, I wouldn't worry to much,if
You need a engine you can have mine foc when v6 goes in and rebuild it
benjo

Post by benjo »

Sorry just seen yours is rev 3 mines rev 1 but offer still stands

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”