Getting a 3rd gear crunch after changing clutch slave cylinder

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mammoo

Getting a 3rd gear crunch after changing clutch slave cylinder

Post by mammoo »

Hi all,

My clutch slave cylinder recently started leaking, ending up with losing all pressure and unable to change gears. It's been to the garage and had a brand new one fitted but now I have a crunch every time I change into 3rd gear.

It doesn't matter if the car is cold/warm, changing up or down, changing slow or fast, double clutching etc, it always crunches into 3rd. Every other gear works absolutely fine. And there was no hint of a problem before the slave cylinder was changed.

Any ideas how this can have happened?
[email protected]

Re: Getting a 3rd gear crunch after changing clutch slave cylinder

Post by [email protected] »

Interested to see if anyone knows as I get a crunch in 3rd too. But have to be revving quite high
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Synchro will most likely be worn and need replacing. Quite common for 3rd.
auzzam

Post by auzzam »

I had this issue when upshifting into third, I just removed my floor mat which probably let my clutch travel in enough to disengage properly.

Worth a shot
ashley

Post by ashley »

Sounds like worn synchro, and you've exposed the issue by not getting all the air out of the clutch line- the slave is really difficult to bleed properly unless you force bleed it with a pump of some description.
mammoo

Post by mammoo »

Thanks for the info guys. I was thinking it was the 3rd synchro based on other people's posts but I couldn't understand why it suddenly happened after changing the slave. The point about bleeding it is very interesting, I'll give that a try and see if it helps improve it for now.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

If you get under the car and push the piston of the slave in as you open the bleed nipple, then immediately close the nipple before the piston is fully in. This may push out a bit of trapped air

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”