Standard rear tyre options

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

hans-Rev3

Standard rear tyre options

Post by hans-Rev3 »

It looks like my usual Toyo T1Rs are unavailable anywhere in 225-50-15, leaving:

Pirelli Pzeros - For the price of them (~£240 each) I may as well buy a modern wheel size and get more options.

Which then leaves me with:

Nexen CP641

Nankang XR611

Sonar Primax SXX08

These will all be awful right? This is complicated a bit by the fact that I'm about to leave on a 6000 mile road trip including a lap of the Nurburgring & driving in the alps so want something decent.

I'll also be driving on some poor roads (Russia, eastern europe, turkey) so R888s aren't an option either - this is also why I'd prefer to stick with a standard 15" wheel with a higher profile than an aftermarket 16" which may buckle/crack easily.

Other option is to switch to a 205-55-15 (I think), which has a larger tyre choice. Has anyone tried this?
aussieGT

Re: Standard rear tyre options

Post by aussieGT »

hans-Rev3 wrote:
Other option is to switch to a 205-55-15 (I think), which has a larger tyre choice. Has anyone tried this?

hans-Rev3

Post by hans-Rev3 »

Haha I read about using a 205 on here somewhere...

Re: 4x4 tyres they don't have any
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

I had brand new nexens all round on my standard 15s when i bought my car.
I thought they were ok and never lost it when giving it some.
My car is running standard power though.
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Nothing wrong with Nexen
Andy Champ

Post by Andy Champ »

"No stock. Order won't be fulfilled until stock is available."

I've just had to put in a new sump (rust) £200 + VAT. A suspension brace £40. New front pads, new front tyres, the exhaust is blowing slightly which messed the emissions so it nearly failed the MOT - damn near £1000 this month :( and the rear tyres will need doing before next winter.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Could you order the Toyos from somewhere in Europe and then fit them en route as it were?
Andy Champ

Post by Andy Champ »

HighwayStar wrote:Could you order the Toyos from somewhere in Europe and then fit them en route as it were?

The somewhere is the hard part.

Mind, if you happen to know somewhere in Portugal we'll be there in the Autumn...
qwakers

Post by qwakers »

im at http://xpressgarage.co.uk/ and they say they have contacts in kumho motorsport devision. they say they can get any spec of tyres you want... for a price. say james with the blue mr2 sent you. they will happily source and post you a set of tyres.
hans-Rev3

Post by hans-Rev3 »

Well based on the reviews on here and after speaking to a couple of other guys I've ended up ordering the Nexens a couple of days ago. Although they get mixed reviews they seem to be the best of the bunch (excluding Pirellis). I've got a few weeks before I go so will give them a try. I'll keep the xpress garage in mind for next time!

Annoyingly I've just noticed that tyreleader.co.uk have Toyo T1Rs in stock again.

HighwayStar wrote:Could you order the Toyos from somewhere in Europe and then fit them en route as it were?

They're getting very low on tread so wouldn't risk it, I've had it booked in for tyres twice and been let down when I've turned up.

Andy Champ wrote:...damn near £1000 this month

Yeah I'm getting on for about the same, discs & pads all round, pair of rear calipers, battery, service bits & fluids along with a clutch & lightweight flywheel as well as the tyres, although I am cramming 6 months maintenance into a month.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”