PAS stopped working!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Scruff

PAS stopped working!

Post by Scruff »

Started my car up last week (about tea time) and my power steering light came on. Thought to myself it will go off soon until I got to the roundabout at the end of my road. I wanted to turn right but ended up having to go straight on as it completely stopped working?!?

I checked the fluid level (which was fine) then thought it must be the belt snapped or slipped or something and I would check it once I got back home.

Got in to drive home and found it to be all fine again and I'm sure I wasn't dreaming

Does anyone know what could be wrong?
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Re: PAS stopped working!

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

That old chesnut :lol:

Its just a relay playing up. If it happens again, rapidly twist the keys from off to ign on, about 20/30 times (until your arm aches). Pause a sec, turn the car back on and it should be fine. If not, try again, and again. It does work, usually first time.

HTH
Luke
Nick Bryant

Post by Nick Bryant »

Sounds familiar i had the same problem but the ignition trick didnt work.When i had it motd they informed me that i had excessive play in the steering rack so i bought a new one from rogue and it works perfectly
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Man those MoTs were a nightmare! lol

Thinking, I'm gonna have probs MoT-ing mine, still got the 2 left headlights from a mk1!
Mike 'MR2' McHugh

Post by Mike 'MR2' McHugh »

Yeah its your relay....mine needs replacing too when ive got the time to be without my car and the cash, a pain but really gets my arms looking buff when its on the blink !!! :|
It goes..Uhn tiss Uhn tiss Uhn tiss
Rick

Post by Rick »

Yep, just keep turning that key. It does sound like the most stupid fix in the world, but it saved me a load of money.

It happened to me shortly after I got my 2 and it was looking for a likely reason for it failing that I first found the (original) imoc site.

Thanks IMOC! :D
fizz

Post by fizz »

ive had the same problem as well.. its a paint as it normally happens to my car after i leave it for a couple of days without use...!

Where can this relay be found?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”