[Mk2] [Generic] windscreen wiper motor differences 11,12,21,22

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

raptor95GTS

[Mk2] [Generic] windscreen wiper motor differences 11,12,21,22

Post by raptor95GTS »

Been looking to replace my wiper motor and linkage as they both have issues but there's multiple part numbers on breaker units. I know the 13 and 23 have the wiring on an external block but the 11,12,21 and 22 seem to look the same and have the block on body wiring. Is there any difference between the four or can they interchangeable with each other

11 - 85070-17040
12 - 85070-17050
21 - 85070-17041 <- currently on my current rev3 turbo
22 - 85070-17051
rev3gtturbo

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] windscreen wiper motor differences 11,12,21,22

Post by rev3gtturbo »

It depends!.... see below.

I had two 94 rev3 turbos. They had different Toyota OEM braces to the front turrets - one went to the bolt at the front of the turret and on the other car it went to the bolt at the rear of the turret. Both had the same mounting to the bulkhead and the angle of the brace bar to the turret was different.

One car handled better than the other so I tried to swap the front brace bars over and could not do it on one of the cars because the wiper motor got in the way.
The wiper motors were a different size (with different fittings) on each car with different part numbers. No idea if there was anything different about them electrically.

When I see an MR2 with the front bonnet, one of things I look for is that brace and I have never seen another one that had the Toyota brace to the bolt at the rear of the front turrets. Yeah that one handled much better even after I put new shocks on the other car and swapped wheels over (so exactly same tyre grip on same roads).

This sort of thing is why Toyota ask for chassis number when ordering parts as it seems some things varied during the production run for the same mk/revision of mr2.

Suggest you ask Toyota for the part number you need (just in case a previous owner has changed that motor before and got lucky). Then you will have at least one or two part numbers compatible with your actual car.

My current rev3 turbo has the brace to the front of the turrets - I can get the part number from the washer motor tomorrow if you are interested.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

thanks for your answer, it certainly explains why this would vary. I just assumed it would be a stock part bins item but clearly not! I shall make sure i get one that matches the current motor, at least I'll know the damn thing fits! I'll also check the position of the front brace on the turrets, I assume front mounting gives more clearance?
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

In both cases the clearance between brace bar and wiper motor is similar due to the difference in size/shape/protrusions of the standard wiper motor for that configuration.

It is one of those things best explained with a picture/photo. (Dont think I have any of the less common configuration and I cant get one as that car was sold years ago).

Return to “Mechanical”