Car won't start - help with ignition fault finding

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Gullzter

Car won't start - help with ignition fault finding

Post by Gullzter »

The rev3 turbo won't start, the first few times trying I flooded the plugs so changed to new ones, again they flooded. I've taken one of the spark plugs out and tried earthing it to the body but there is no spark.
The leads look good, the king lead looks good, distributer and cap look spot on and pretty new. The coil pack not so good so I've tried another coulpack but I believe it may be a rev2 (not sure if this would work or not??)

So will the coil pack from earlier revs work on the later rev3*?
Anything else that wouldn't spark it?

There is fuel getting in as I can smell it from the plugs and exhaust.
It did try to fire a couple of times but popped and banged, just never fired up.
thomp1983

Re: Car won't start - help with ignition fault finding

Post by thomp1983 »

Firstly pull the efi fuse while your testing for spark to stop it flooding.

Secondly unplug the king lead from the dizzy and short it to ground with a screwdriver and check for spark there
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

Had a similar fault with my rev 2. Does your engine management light illuminate when your ignition is set to second stage. To the best of my knowledge if this light doesn't illuminate then the ecu will not send a signal to ignition components
almeida1234

Post by almeida1234 »

Just out of curiosity did you make sure HD leads are in correct order and plug into dis cap right way round?
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Sorted now, yesterday I tried it without changing ignition parts, but tried 2 different batteries.
Today I only tired one battery and after I tried everything it hadn't worked, tried the other battery and it did work, and that was with the other coilpack changed but everything else kept the same so it was lost probably the coil pack..
It did have a split down it which I noticed yesterday so that was always my thought :mrgreen:
yokomomr4bx

Post by yokomomr4bx »

As an encouragement of your diagnosis, I had exactly the same thing happen to my rev 3 turbo recently, all ignition components were spot on etc, only thing to 'part start' was the coil pack as it was the original one. Even though I tested it on the bench with a multimeter and it appeared to be ok, as soon as I put the new coil on, been perfect since.
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

I've had a problem with coilpack in previous mr2 so I know they are a weak point due to water running down the engine bay wall causing moisture in it.
Just need to make sure I dry it properly next time I wash it, or get a coil on plug conversion soon enough :eye:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”