[Mk2] [Turbo] fuel pump = Supra TT pump or something else?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jimGTS

[Mk2] [Turbo] fuel pump = Supra TT pump or something else?

Post by jimGTS »

After having the misfortune of breaking down over the weekend, im on the look out for a new fuel pump!
The car showed symptoms of fueliing issues and eventually died on me.

It was namely getting leaner and leaner on boost (felt fine, no missing), eventually leading to missing on cruise and eventually dieing and not restarting.
Hopefully not caused any damage the times when i did boost with AFRs in the 12/13s thinking it was a wideband sensor problem, as the car felt fine.
Strange thing was when i got the car home, applied 12v to the pump directly and was showing full pressure, and started and revved up fine!! This was on a cold motor at this point.

So thinking pump was overheating, or the wiring to it is not up the job anymore once hot.
Given i dont know the age of the current pump, likely time to just rule it out along with rewiring it. Sounds like a walbro to me, so im not looking to get another!

Ive long heard good things about the Supra TT fuel pump, so on the look out for one. Direct drop in, higher flow than the walbro, more reliably and quiet!

Question is where from and is it worth the hassle of custom fuel lines from the tank when i have it out?
Because its a direct drop in im almost thinking just leave it at that.

androo007

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] fuel pump = Supra TT pump or something else?

Post by androo007 »

There's a lot of fake walbros our there, unusual for a genuine one to fail early apparently.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

if you haven't already seen it

http://realstreetperformance.com/Fuel-P ... -Test.html

depending on how far you're planning on going the stock lines will be ok with a supra/255 pump, the bigger pumps (340lph and so on) would only be needed well above 400bhp and would require a bigger return line, the stock supply hard line on top of the tank is already the same ID as a -6 hose, so you can run a -6 hose from the union by the rear bulkhead off the stock hard line using a 6an to m14 x 1.5 female inverted flare fitting then run -6 hose to the filter and from the filter to the fuel rail

unless you're planning on changing the stock tank hard lines for larger hard lines I would leave it alone.

this is the right way to do it

http://www.imgrum.net/media/13944866642 ... 1345664571

braided rubber hose works, but it's not ideal on top of the tank where it's hidden and inaccessible as it's not strictly a 'fit and forget' item.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

That's for info and link.

Lots of digging later, perhaps the walbro isn't the worst idea. Highly popular so of course your going to hear the odd failure.
Given I don't know what pump is in there at the mo, no word on if it's even a turbo pump, let alone a walbro in my receipts. Hopefully is one of them at least when the conversion was done.
Don't think I'll get much change from £250 for the supra pump and potential few weeks wait for it. Maybe overkill really.

I have -6 braided from filter to rail, rail to FPR that lives in the boot. So could go from firewall to filter as you say, though maybe no point really, depends how well I get on with that fitting!!

But I can see advantage of using the stock hardlines as you say on top of the tank as they are positioned and bolted down well, unlike some braided lines there, worth a thought anyways.
J-1

Post by J-1 »

Speak to Peter Gidden. He got me a higher rate fuel pump from USA. I'm sure he used them on Simon Hicks car as well :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

ive gone for a walbro in the end, just hope its a genuine item.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

who did you buy it from?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

temple tuning on ebay who are supplied by sytec.

says its legit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182043988163
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

That's who I got mine from, and it's been fine. Purchased from them before and they sell legit stuff.
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Do tell us what pump you remove Jim. I have a Walbro myself the only thing I'd say about it, is its loud. I thought it was broken

There is a sound suppression you can buy for it, i never got round to it myself :lol:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

gnzyza wrote:That's who I got mine from, and it's been fine. Purchased from them before and they sell legit stuff.

good to know thanks.
they sent the wrong fuel pump sock (i got a nissan kit), so they are sending the mr2 one in the post for me.
thankfully for me i know what the mr2 sock looks like, so got on the case asap.

fast to reply to ebay messages, happy to resolve and fix issue, so pretty happy with them.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Odin_S wrote:Do tell us what pump you remove Jim. I have a Walbro myself the only thing I'd say about it, is its loud. I thought it was broken

There is a sound suppression you can buy for it, i never got round to it myself :lol:

ill look into it thanks.

yeh mine doesnt seem loud, so id guess and say it was an old original turbo pump. cant imagine an NA one is in there given what ive asked the car to do.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Odin_S wrote:Do tell us what pump you remove Jim. I have a Walbro myself the only thing I'd say about it, is its loud. I thought it was broken

edit, sure your not just referring to the rubber sleeve?? that comes with all walbro kits afaik....
kennym

pump

Post by kennym »

Jim I just bought one of these from your link, because you recommended it i'm assuming you will stand as guarantor & offer a full warranty?

Any chance of a pic to check i get the right fitting kit?

Thanks kennym
jimGTS

Re: pump

Post by jimGTS »

kennym wrote:Jim I just bought one of these from your link, because you recommended it i'm assuming you will stand as guarantor & offer a full warranty?

Any chance of a pic to check i get the right fitting kit?

Thanks kennym

:mrgreen:

the pic in the ad is what you should receive and want to see.
the box label you want just to confirm 100% is ITP229

for anyone else you want to make sure you get the GSS341 model.

i found some online places sell the GSS342 for the mr2 as well, the differences between the two are the IN and OUT ports on the 341 are 180degrees apart, the 342 is oriented the same.
the 341 should make fitting better, the 342 will sit fit though.
kennym

thanks

Post by kennym »

thanks jim ill google fitting now should be straightforward
androo007

Post by androo007 »

If it''s stock pump then it's done well Jim. You'll be just grand on this new one :thumleft:
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

jimGTS wrote:

ill look into it thanks.

yeh mine doesnt seem loud, so id guess and say it was an old original turbo pump. cant imagine an NA one is in there given what ive asked the car to do.

I bookmarked this link a while a go

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Walbro- ... 1195841528
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

I'd spend the extra $$$ and get the OEM Denso TT Supra pump simply because it would make me feel a little more comfortable when trying to eek out a bit more power that it wouldn't just die.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Unless you're trying to eek out more than 500hp then it won't be anywhere near it'd maximum flow rate.

Return to “Modifications”