Hard starting and stalling

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

archangel

Hard starting and stalling

Post by archangel »

Hoping to get some diagnosis ideas on the following issues.

Gave the 2 a good punt today and due to the cold air in the evening i think it was pushing the limits of the map im running. Anyways after that noticed a slight ticking noise on acceleration that sounds like an exhaust leak.

It is also struggling to start now. Cranks for a few seconds before it begrudgingly starts to fire. It will generally stall if i let the revs drop yoo low as well.

Dont seem to be losing fluids, no overheating, and is otherwise driving (not boosting it until i know whats going on but i can it start spooling).

Anyone have ideas on what it could be?
Rev1 Tubby, Garrett GT3071R, Motec M4 EMS, 880cc delphis, Rev3 turbo port polished built head/cams/titanium retainers, shim under buckets, HD springs, etc., rear bumper mounted intercooler, and vanilla air freshener.
archangel

Re: Hard starting and stalling

Post by archangel »

No ideas or are the symptoms too broad still?
Rev1 Tubby, Garrett GT3071R, Motec M4 EMS, 880cc delphis, Rev3 turbo port polished built head/cams/titanium retainers, shim under buckets, HD springs, etc., rear bumper mounted intercooler, and vanilla air freshener.
JD

Post by JD »

archangel wrote:due to the cold air in the evening i think it was pushing the limits of the map im running

why though?
archangel

Post by archangel »

It was mapped when tgw qeather was warmer and although there is some temperature compensation for fuelling, etc. it just seemed to pull so much harder for the short drive before i started getting the problems described.
It may actually be unrelated and i havent had a chance to get to work on the car to check ignition components, pipework, etc. yet i thought id ask if anyone has any ideas on areas i should check.
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

Trouble starting and then dying, check coil, igniter and rest of ignition system.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Uh oh. Took it for a spin during the day today and noticed puffs of smoke coming from the engine bay (not exhaust) when the bov dumped which means the crank case pressure is blowing oil through the aftermarket catch can and back into the intake to come out the bov. Think I have fried some piston rings.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Compression test it, wet and dry. Taking the plugs out might give a hint.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”