rev 3 turbo in getting worked on and serviced soon

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Crazy95

rev 3 turbo in getting worked on and serviced soon

Post by Crazy95 »

Hi all, my rev 3 turbo will be in the garage for the first time since I've owned the car and there are numerous things to be done and any help/thoughts would be helpful.

the previous owner told me he "thinks" he got it serviced, so lets take that as the car not being serviced in the last year. what should I get serviced other than the obvious?

the AC didn't work when i got the car, the belt on the unit is missing. from a look at the front radiator it would make better use as a drying rack for clothes. I've asked the mechanic to remove the AC unit to save some dead weight. he doesn't know how much labour it will take due to never doing this before. anyone have any experience removing the AC? I'm mostly looking to get the bulk of the weight out the car.

the reversing lights do not work. the car has had a gearbox refurb from the last owner after he broke 3rd gear so I believe it might be due to this. from talking with the owner before the last owner(an idiot) a rear fog light was fitted to one of the reversing lights which also doesn't work, hard to tell if these 2 problems are to do with each other.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Re: rev 3 turbo in getting worked on and serviced soon

Post by Martin F »

Crazy95 wrote:Hi all, my rev 3 turbo will be in the garage for the first time since I've owned the car and there are numerous things to be done and any help/thoughts would be helpful.

the previous owner told me he "thinks" he got it serviced, so lets take that as the car not being serviced in the last year. what should I get serviced other than the obvious?

the AC didn't work when i got the car, the belt on the unit is missing. from a look at the front radiator it would make better use as a drying rack for clothes. I've asked the mechanic to remove the AC unit to save some dead weight. he doesn't know how much labour it will take due to never doing this before. anyone have any experience removing the AC? I'm mostly looking to get the bulk of the weight out the car.

the reversing lights do not work. the car has had a gearbox refurb from the last owner after he broke 3rd gear so I believe it might be due to this. from talking with the owner before the last owner(an idiot) a rear fog light was fitted to one of the reversing lights which also doesn't work, hard to tell if these 2 problems are to do with each other.

All diy jobs, oil, filter are the main items then check the spark plugs, leads, dizzy cap and arm, air filter and fuel filter as well. When was the gearbox oil last changed ? coolant ? brake and clutch fluid ?

Fog light and reversing light are simple wiring basics however it's not so easy trying to explain it over the internet, reverse light sounds like the switch, could be as simple as not being plugged in to the loom.

A/C removal isn't really worth doing, you are unlikely to notice any difference. The obvious bits are the radiator and large pully bit attached to the engine, the rest isn't really accesable without tearing into things that will start eating up a lot of time.

Have a look at previous threads on these subjects or the Bgb before deciding whether you want to pay someone to do them for you, simple diy are what makes these cars a Hobby. :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

only AC related item that weighs anything is the compressor in the engine bay.

the pipework and even the rad weigh next to nothing.

but for the latter its likely a bumper off job, expect broken undertray bolts, which may well add to labour.

pipework alot easier to remove with the car up in the air.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

If you insist on removing the AC then leave the pressure switch in the frunk plugged in as without it or a bridge the rad fans will run constantly.
Crazy95

Post by Crazy95 »

Im removing the ac due to it being dead weight. Ive read that it weighs 20kg
Not exactly a stripped out car but every little helps. Im a little ocd when it comes to weight saving, anything broken gets removed, fixed or replaced with better parts.

Regarding DIY jobs, i have no experience with these things and i would like everything check and done properly the first time so its easier to learn

The brake pedal for example is very light to begin with then turns super heavy if more braking needs applying
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Crazy95 wrote:Im a little ocd when it comes to weight saving, anything broken gets removed, fixed or replaced with better parts.

You're at the right place then!
auzzam

Post by auzzam »

Crazy95 wrote:Im removing the ac due to it being dead weight. Ive read that it weighs 20kg
Not exactly a stripped out car but every little helps. Im a little ocd when it comes to weight saving, anything broken gets removed, fixed or replaced with better parts.

Regarding DIY jobs, i have no experience with these things and i would like everything check and done properly the first time so its easier to learn

The brake pedal for example is very light to begin with then turns super heavy if more braking needs applying

I removed my front AC rad recently when changing my coolant rad. It definitely does not way 20kg, more like 5kg at a push.

I was able to remove it just by jacking the car up slightly but then again I was removing the coolant radiator first which gave me all the room needed.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

auzzam wrote:
Crazy95 wrote:Im removing the ac due to it being dead weight. Ive read that it weighs 20kg

I removed my front AC rad recently when changing my coolant rad. It definitely does not way 20kg, more like 5kg at a push.

I was able to remove it just by jacking the car up slightly but then again I was removing the coolant radiator first which gave me all the room needed.

noone claiming just the a/c rad itself is 20kg, they are referring to the whole system in the vehicle.

still, i dont think even the whole system is 20kg.
the only thing that weighs anything note worthy is the compressor in the engine bay.
the rad, and the pipework are very light.

still, dead weight is dead weight if you dont want to use it.
id say at a push 10-15kg.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”