Need to run the engine to get the MOT passed after a rebuild advice please

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

[email protected]

Need to run the engine to get the MOT passed after a rebuild advice please

Post by [email protected] »

How does anyone do this?

I bought an MOT failure... I have the car insured to drive to a fro for an MOT test.
But my MR2 had a major oil leak and unburnt oil in the exhaust needs a good blow through.
I want to drive it for 200 miles. But if I got pulled over what is my excuse? They will hardly buy that excuse oh im taking it for an MOT... i cant get the vehicle taxed until I have the MOT. It will always fail the emissions until I can give it a good run. any advice?
[email protected]

Re: Need to run the engine to get the MOT passed after a rebuild advice please

Post by [email protected] »

[email protected] wrote:How does anyone do this?

I bought an MOT failure... I have the car insured to drive to a fro for an MOT test.
But my MR2 had a major oil leak and unburnt oil in the exhaust needs a good blow through.
I want to drive it for 200 miles. But if I got pulled over what is my excuse? They will hardly buy that excuse oh im taking it for an MOT... i cant get the vehicle taxed until I have the MOT. It will always fail the emissions until I can give it a good run. any advice?

Also does anyone know anyone in the DORSET area that is good working on MR2s?
qwakers

Post by qwakers »

take the exhaust off and flush it through with degreaser.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

You'll most likely find it burns off quite quickly once it gets hot
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

[email protected] wrote:How does anyone do this?

Where was the oil leak to make the exhaust have so much oil in it that it will affect emmisions ? :?
Why can't you just pay someone to transport the car for you ?, then if the issue is fixed simply remove exhaust to attempt cleaning or buy another one (can get a 2nd hand cheapo for £50-£100), fit that and mot the car ?
Hez

Post by Hez »

Drive it round locally and do 200 miles and if you get pulled over tell them your on your way to drop it off at the garage.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

You could stick it on a rolling road for 200 miles. I imagine it might be expensive though.

Or take it to a track on a trailer?
androo007

Post by androo007 »

a little oil can smoke quite a lot. I assume it's not a fire hazard so should be fine to just burn off.

Have you seen a car go past with piston rings gone? now thats impressive smoke displays :whistle: \:D/ :lol:
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Just run it at home for 30 minutes with throttle wedged at 2krpm it'll probably only take 2 or 3 times to clear it out

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”