PAS light

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

CalMac

PAS light

Post by CalMac »

Went to the cinema the other night and went to drive home after only for the PAS (PS) light to come on and steering was a bit heavier than usual. AFAIK I don't even have PAS - there's no fill reservoir in the frunk and I've always thought the steering was non-assisted anyway as it's quite heavy.

I have noticed a whine from the frunk sometimes while turning lock to lock on idle though so knew something was going on, but it felt ok and drives well so just ignored it :lol:

Thinking about it now it sounds like I'm describing a PAS system which has been low on fluid for a while and probably burned out the pump from never checking. But I thought the car was non-PAS. Confused.

I actually prefer how the steering feels now but probably ought to 'fix' it - should I just unplug the relay and clean off the connectors?
alanmr2turbo

Re: PAS light

Post by alanmr2turbo »

there is a PAs reservoir in the frunk. Remove the plastic cowling and you will see it right next to battery on right hand side.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Derp. Yep there it is :lol: Could've sworn I've looked under the cowling before and it wasn't there :-k
Shaoxter

Post by Shaoxter »

The light came on once for me, the PAS had indeed stopped working (definitely noticeable when parking). Turned off the car then when I came back to start it up everything was fine, and never seen it since :-k

No idea what happened!
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Mine done it once after a car wash. Turned it off and on and it was fine after.

Then it done it again a few months ago and the off/on trick worked again.

If need be i have a spare manual rack and column to swap over if it keeps doing it .
I think a manual rack may be less hassle and better for track anyway?
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Sometimes the PAS relay sticks. Turn the ignition switch on (without starting the engine) and off several times in quick succession usually sorts it.
UrbanFreestyle

Post by UrbanFreestyle »

i had my relay get stuck / break, so connected the leads on top of it together and presto it works again, Not a permanent fix but it's going fine so far :-)
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

UrbanFreestyle wrote:i had my relay get stuck / break, so connected the leads on top of it together and presto it works again, Not a permanent fix but it's going fine so far :-)

Whats the point of the relay if u can just bypass it?
UrbanFreestyle

Post by UrbanFreestyle »

I originally bypassed to test, but just kept it like it. I believe the relay is there to turn PAS on and off depending on speed?
cosmos

Power Steering

Post by cosmos »

I think its possible to turn the key to quickly from off to engage starter position because in a thrice the relays have to react. So key insertion in at position 1 then turn key to position 2 at lightning speed sometimes catches out the relays signal and operation, perhaps the push button starter switch is a better method than a key like on my Ford Kuga.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”