This is bad right?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

metallica fish

This is bad right?

Post by metallica fish »

:pale:

gnzyza

Re: This is bad right?

Post by gnzyza »

Doesn't look good, how are they externally. If solid then worth getting a boroscope in there to check it out. If not too bad and only on the surface you can buy products to neutralise the rust and protect.
metallica fish

Post by metallica fish »

Outside is ok. Bit of surface rust but still solid... I'll some of that stuff that turns rust to solid metal. Then spray hammerite underseal in there.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

You should be able to get a phone camera positioned correctly to be able to see.

If the foam is like that then they need attention. The outers are usually the last to go - if the outers have holes in then the inners are usually completely shot.

All fixable though with a combination of time, skill, and money.
metallica fish

Post by metallica fish »

What kinda skill and money?

I'm not prepared to spend a bucket load of cash as it's a rev 1 NA after all.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

as ive said liam your sills will need work, you can get these repair panels

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-SET-Toyot ... Swu4BV0iNs

cost is solely down to how cheap a welder you can find or learn for yourself

chris
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

Gazza_DJ wrote:You should be able to get a phone camera positioned correctly to be able to see.

If the foam is like that then they need attention. The outers are usually the last to go - if the outers have holes in then the inners are usually completely shot.

How good is the rest of the car? If you don't want to spend too much trying to cut all the rust out you may be better off finding a better sw altogether.

There are still some floating around out there that don't have 'too' much rust, and can be found for pretty low prices. If it was going to cost over £200-300 to repair the rust in your current car i'd be looking for a better example.

If it's too rusty in areas you have found you'll be pulling your hair out if you get that repaired only to find more later on. Have you had a good dig around in the boot in the areas that are covered externally by the bumper and other known rust prone locations?
cabrioman

Post by cabrioman »

Sorry, i'm going to ask a dumb question.
What are they and where did they come from?
metallica fish

Post by metallica fish »

aussieGT wrote:
Gazza_DJ wrote:You should be able to get a phone camera positioned correctly to be able to see.

How good is the rest of the car? If you don't want to spend too much trying to cut all the rust out you may be better off finding a better sw altogether.

There are still some floating around out there that don't have 'too' much rust, and can be found for pretty low prices. If it was going to cost over £200-300 to repair the rust in your current car i'd be looking for a better example.

If it's too rusty in areas you have found you'll be pulling your hair out if you get that repaired only to find more later on. Have you had a good dig around in the boot in the areas that are covered externally by the bumper and other known rust prone locations?

I'm not 100% sure how bad it is until I get to have a real good go at things later this month.

Rear sills are bent from over jacking but seem solid. If the replacement sills that Chris has posted are needed then it would be better to strip, break, and scrap the car. Which I hope to hell I don't have to do.

There is some rusted through parts further back which is job number 1 to sort. Hopefully the sills will just need patching rather than replacing.
metallica fish

Post by metallica fish »

cabrioman wrote:Sorry, i'm going to ask a dumb question.
What are they and where did they come from?

Foam from inside the sills. Taken out from just behind the seats
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

metallica fish wrote:
I'm not 100% sure how bad it is until I get to have a real good go at things later this month.

There is some rusted through parts further back which is job number 1 to sort. Hopefully the sills will just need patching rather than replacing.

I'd suggest to pull the rear bumper off, thats a known rust haven. (that will expose a whole lot of area around the rear) Doing that may give you a good idea whether or not to carry on with this one.
Rob

Post by Rob »

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/41/148602.html

From my own experience where the OP has rust as bad as that, the sills are dead inside and out. My sponge wasn't half that bad but you can see what the outer sills were like in the link above.

I had mine professionally rebuilt - you can do it a lot cheaper but I don't have the ability and wanted a perfect repair.

As mentioned, check also inside the rear wheel wells in the boot and in the rear suspension turrets.
metallica fish

Post by metallica fish »

aussieGT wrote:
metallica fish wrote:

I'd suggest to pull the rear bumper off, thats a known rust haven. (that will expose a whole lot of area around the rear) Doing that may give you a good idea whether or not to carry on with this one.

Back bumper is off and there is rust up to the bottom of the vent on one side, but not as bad on the other. I get to attack it in 2 weeks. get it sealed and the bumper back on. fingers crossed
metallica fish

Post by metallica fish »

Rob wrote:http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/41/148602.html

From my own experience where the OP has rust as bad as that, the sills are dead inside and out. My sponge wasn't half that bad but you can see what the outer sills were like in the link above.

I had mine professionally rebuilt - you can do it a lot cheaper but I don't have the ability and wanted a perfect repair.

As mentioned, check also inside the rear wheel wells in the boot and in the rear suspension turrets.

Suspension turrets are fine.

Like I've said the back is warped on one side but solid.

Under where the sponge is I'm going to do some investigating and see whats what. I assume I will have to what you did. But the beauty is that I can fix that and not be bothered how it looks after as I will be covering with skirts.
Ed J

Post by Ed J »

Your sponge looks worst than mine, and mine was pretty toast.
metallica fish

Post by metallica fish »

2 weeks time and I'll be able to tell if I can save the car or it's going to be another year or two on hold for my dream car ](*,)
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

metallica fish wrote:2 weeks time and I'll be able to tell if I can save the car or it's going to be another year or two on hold for my dream car ](*,)

Bah, keep your chin up man. There always seems to be lots of SW's for sale up your way, the right one will land in your lap if you give it enough time.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x233lz ... love_music
metallica fish

Post by metallica fish »

aussieGT wrote:
metallica fish wrote:2 weeks time and I'll be able to tell if I can save the car or it's going to be another year or two on hold for my dream car ](*,)

Bah, keep your chin up man. There always seems to be lots of SW's for sale up your way, the right one will land in your lap if you give it enough time.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x233lz ... love_music

No rust... Perfect paint... And no mechanical or electrical issues for £500 :pray:
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

metallica fish wrote:

No rust... Perfect paint... And no mechanical or electrical issues for £500 :pray:

Hey hey hey! I said the right one, not a perfect one!!
Draven

Post by Draven »

I've got one, on my shelf at home. :thumleft: 0 miles on it too.. cost less that £500

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”