[Mk2] [Turbo] Where to add water temp sender?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Chumbaside

[Mk2] [Turbo] Where to add water temp sender?

Post by Chumbaside »

As part of my rebuild, I'm wanting to monitor as much as possible in terms of temperatures etc. All will supply my LINK G4+ Extreme, some will go on to a gauge for quick visual checks too.

With my water temp sensor, I'm getting conflicting advice about where to put it in the coolant's journey. For those of you who have them, where are the senders fitted and can you share photos?

Cheers,

Mark
jimGTS

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Where to add water temp sender?

Post by jimGTS »

i can only go off what ive seen, but usually on the large coolant pipe fitting to the coolant elbow. this is directly from the radiator where it enters back into the engine.
but interested to hear where others have put it.

EDIT;
oh just to add, this location is also where the oem ecu and oem temp gauge gets its temp readings from.
ashley

Post by ashley »

I thought the stock coolant temp sensors were on the exit of the engine and before flow to the radiator?

Using this position means you are measuring the hottest point (in theory) of the system, which is probably more useful than the temperature before it goes into the engine.

Another useful point would be to measure on the cool side of the radiator, then you could use this to control the rad fan(s)- so if the temps out of the rads start to climb, switch fan on kind of thing.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

sorry i didnt mean to insinuate it was an exit or entrance point, more the point where oem measured from and where it mates to the engine.
:thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Gotcha :thumleft:
Chumbaside

Post by Chumbaside »

ashley wrote:I thought the stock coolant temp sensors were on the exit of the engine and before flow to the radiator?

Using this position means you are measuring the hottest point (in theory) of the system, which is probably more useful than the temperature before it goes into the engine.

Another useful point would be to measure on the cool side of the radiator, then you could use this to control the rad fan(s)- so if the temps out of the rads start to climb, switch fan on kind of thing.

I like the thought process here. I think I'll go with the stock location initially - might just be room to tap a second sensor into that elbow, if not I'll likely use an adaptor in the hose.

Thanks chaps :thumleft:

Return to “Modifications”