[Mk2] [Turbo] MSD Blaster SS compatibility

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

yokomomr4bx

[Mk2] [Turbo] MSD Blaster SS compatibility

Post by yokomomr4bx »

So my coil has been on the blink for the past 2 weeks and today it decided no more. Primary coil has zero resistance, all other ignition components are spot on. My issue is that all the aftermarket coils available are not really what I want to putting on my car, and a genuine coil is a bit pricey. From what I can gather the MSD Blaster SS coil has a very good reputation and has been used a number of times on the 3SGTE. Does anybody here have any experience using this coil with an otherwise factory ignition system (bar ultra leads and gapped/temped plugs)? Is it simply a case of modifying my existing HT lead which runs from the coil to the distributor (so that it can be connected to the MSD) and cutting off the primary coil plug and replacing it with terminals that can be screwed to the positive and negative terminals of the MSD coil? Or am I missing something here?

Much appreciated.

EDIT: Looking at the specs, the standard secondary coil resistance is recommended to be between 10.0 and 14.0 kilohms, the MSD blaster SS is rated to 4.4 kilohm...? :-k

Return to “Modifications”