[Mk2] [Turbo] KMH to MPH dial overlay

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rossonza
Premium Member

[Mk2] [Turbo] KMH to MPH dial overlay

Post by rossonza »

Well, the car ive been given for free has what looks to be an awful overlay for the dials.

it also only goes upto 110mph... does anyone sell dials on here?

its a 1993 rev2 JDM import turbo.

sorry for the crap photo.

Also... how is the restrictor setup? is there a dial mod to de-restrict?
Pauln

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] KMH to MPH dial overlay

Post by Pauln »

The JDM turbo instrument cluster was originally fitted with a 180 kmp speedo.

The easy way to convert that to mph is to simply fit a 110mph overlay. That way you don't have to make any other changes. But the speed limiter will continue to operate.

Alternatively you can fit an electronic speedo converter to the cluster and 180 kph would then become 180mph. Depending on the type of converter used, this may cause problems with the power steering at high speed, it may also lift the speed restriction.

The ones that bolt directly onto the rear of the speedo are best as the speed limit is lifted and the power steering operates as it should. This is what I have.

Ignore all the extra black wires, they were fitted to test my own unit and repair a broken track

Finally you can also fit a UK speedo into a JDM instrument cluster which will give a mph readout and I believe lift the speed limit.

Unfortunately it's hard to see what has been fitted from that photo. But it does look as though you have a voltmeter where the boost gauge would normally be on a JDM turbo cluster. Which if true suggests that a previous owner may have also swapped the JDM speedo for a UK N/A model

Assuming the cluster is from a JDM rev 2 turbo, and it's just the gauges that have been swapped over, the warning light layout should be something like this.

You may not have some of the options fitted, so some warning lights may not come on when you turn he ignition on.

But if your warning light layout is very different, you may have to pull the cluster out to find out what's what.

As I said I'm afraid from that photo it's pretty much impossible to be sure what mods have been done to the cluster by the previous owner.

Paul

update.
this time with the correct photo of the rear of the speedo rather than the lower rear panel of the car #-o
Last edited by Pauln on Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rossonza
Premium Member

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] KMH to MPH dial overlay

Post by rossonza »

brilliant. really appreciate the info Paul.

sorry for the bad picture. i dont have the car physically yet. will be happening in the new year. will confirm whats been done then.

thanks
Ross.

Return to “Modifications”