www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
JDM Import Rev 2 Turbo - car gone into storage - engine to be swapped
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> Member Profiles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLW

Feedback Score: 8

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Magic Beans wrote:
Looks great [thumleft]

I'm considering doing my cover, inlet mani and throttle body in that too.

Ditto, winter project for me.
love the crackle black VHT stuff.

Is it difficult to paint,
assuming lots of thin layers,
what primer did you use ?
androo007
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

If you want it to last, powder coat it otherwise heat grease etc all makes it flake off and look poo after a year or two unless it's a garage queen (imho)
rossonza
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3

1993 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

JLW wrote:
Magic Beans wrote:
Looks great [thumleft]

I'm considering doing my cover, inlet mani and throttle body in that too.

Ditto, winter project for me.
love the crackle black VHT stuff.

Is it difficult to paint,
assuming lots of thin layers,
what primer did you use ?

No, was really easy to be fair. I think it was just halfords grey primer (will check with my friend). Opposite actually, it was i think 1 thick coat of the crinkle paint. Goes on looking like normal paint, heated with a heat gun it then brings out the crackle look.
rossonza
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Well we've had some windy weather which has halted progress but I've managed to finish building up the rear inner.

Also drilled all the holes in the new outer sill ready to finish the passenger's side. Due to the wind I'm unable to weld it in place though... So either tomorrow or later in the week the welding should be complete. A nice milestone. [thumleft]

craig

Feedback Score: 141

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Admiring the effort here! Keep it up [Applause]
rossonza
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

craig wrote:
Admiring the effort here! Keep it up [Applause]

Thanks mate appreciate it [thumleft]
rossonza
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Got the outer sill on. Needs more welding but I ran out of daylight.

Hopefully finish up this week.
Tsia
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5

1995 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Looks a good job! I'd love to tackle the same task myself, I just have no confidence in my ability to weld or do anything with the inner sills [Laughing]
rossonza
Premium Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Tsia wrote:
Looks a good job! I'd love to tackle the same task myself, I just have no confidence in my ability to weld or do anything with the inner sills [Laughing]

thank you. i had none either. just had to get stuck in. I did find figuring out how to shape the inner the hardest part though. luckily ive got a friend whose done about 30 cars now and could give me live advice on whatsapp lol. [thumleft]
rossonza
Premium Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

the fronts now seamed in, just the rear to seam weld and fill in the rest of the spot welds.

Unforutnately winter outside isnt the best conditions for attempting to weld (ive been welding with torchlight) but its getting done.

Move out of my house soon, so there may not be much in terms of updates for a few weeks over november/december. after that its all hands on deck to get her on the road.

still trying to decide if i do some power mods now, or later......
rossonza
Premium Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Well once again I've been welding using torch light. But that's the welding 99% done.

rossonza
Premium Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Well car got collected. sad to see it go off the drive. however its no longer my drive as of thursday so needed to happen.

the guy whose having it in storage offered to do engine swap for 150. So tempted to get him to do it over the next few months...... shouldnt take him long as hes got ramps

postivies:
1. stay warm over winter
2. stay clean(er) over winter
3. car just needs bushes swapping/disks/tyres
4. keeps new neighbours happy

negatives:
1. i havnt done all the work my self
2. Costs 150

what you guys reckon?
rossonza
Premium Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Well i decided for it... the guys doing timing belt/water pump and fitting my new BRD decat. Also managed to get some shades cheap off facebook.

so once the big stuffs done its just the remaining once its home on the drive

1. upgrade fuel pump (not needed right away)
2. new brake disks
3. fit braided brake lines
4. new tyres
5. suspension bushes
5. MOT [thumleft]
Gazza_DJ
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 11

1997 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev4

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Engine swap labour for 150? Too good to be true surely!
rossonza
Premium Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Gazza_DJ wrote:
Engine swap labour for 150? Too good to be true surely!

It's just basic swap. I'll have to reconnect vac lines and electrics. I presume that's an ok price?
androo007
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Extremely cheap
rossonza
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

androo007 wrote:
Extremely cheap

I shall let you all know the outcome. He's done work for my friend before so I'm happy it will get done properly.
markstevieandmads

Feedback Score: 4

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

So it sounds like hes taking one engine out and putting in another?

Why not invest in a crane yourself and diy then either sell the crane on or hire one
yokomomr4bx
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 4

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Couldn't find if you had said elsewhere in your thread, but can I assume these sill replacements are those offered by MR2-BEN at the moment? I will be putting a new offside on mine after winter and was keen to get these ones. How have you found the fitment, profile quality etc? Much appreciated!
rossonza
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

yokomomr4bx wrote:
Couldn't find if you had said elsewhere in your thread, but can I assume these sill replacements are those offered by MR2-BEN at the moment? I will be putting a new offside on mine after winter and was keen to get these ones. How have you found the fitment, profile quality etc? Much appreciated!

Yes MR2 Ben from his eBay shop.

Fitment and quality spot on. Would 100% buy again if I had to. Tip for installing would be weld the bottom first. Then you can push down on the top of the sill to get perfect form/fit when tacking the top in place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> Member Profiles All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: