[Mk2] [Turbo] 3SGTE clutch options.

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SonicSW20

[Mk2] [Turbo] 3SGTE clutch options.

Post by SonicSW20 »

Looking for some recommendations on a clutch for a 3SGTE. Don't need anything crazy, this engine will never see anything more than whatever torque is possible on a stock ECU + boost controller.

Car is used for daily duties so I don't want anything that makes it annoying to drive in traffic. It will also get used for the odd track day / santa pod runs so it would be nice if there was something that's a bit of a middle ground between the super aggressive clutches and the OE clutch. Unless of course the OE / Exedy OE replacement clutches hold up OK on the occasional track day? The Exedy OE replacement on my NA has been fine with the same usage, but the NA doesn't make enough torque to give a clutch any bother :lol:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] 3SGTE clutch options.

Post by Martin F »

I would just stick with an oe clutch, been tried and tested :thumleft:
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

OEM clutch. Make sure you get a genuine Toyota throw out bearing. Even some of these pricey aftermarket clutches seem to throw in Chinese junk for a throw out bearing.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Thanks both. So no benefit to something like this as a middle ground option? http://www.tegiwaimports.com/exedy-stag ... turbo.html
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

I'd buy an uprated one.

I killed a brand new stock clutch in less than a year (2,000 miles ish). I did two track days and i never l launched the car in that time as well.

I do run a nice big charge cooler so torque levels are pretty good and thats what the stock clutch doesn't like. :thumleft:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Really, 2k miles? That's surprising. What are you running now? Thoughts on the Exedy above? It's still an organic clutch so I would think it would behave much like OE in traffic etc.
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Really, 2k miles? That's surprising. What are you running now? Thoughts on the Exedy above? It's still an organic clutch so I would think it would behave much like OE in traffic etc.

Haha i was surprised as well! As soon as the boost kicked in it started slipping! I went for a spec +3...... a bit overkill for my needs but to be honest now it's bedded in it's not that much heavier than stock.

I never had an exedy myself, whats your end power goal? 300ish?
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

There is no power goal, While having a number beginning with a 3 would be nice it's really not important - only thing that matters is how it drives. I don't want to forge it, and I don't want to move away from stock engine management so it'll be whatever it does with a stock ECU + boost controller. It's a gen3 with a stage1 CT26, there is a dyno print out for 235bhp at the wheels but it's not dated so I don't know exactly where it fits into the engines timeline. You'd think it would be after it was rebuilt with the hybrid turbo etc, but I can't confirm that. On top of that I'll be adding a decat downpipe and replacing the stock side mount IC with an aftermarket one.

The heaviness of the pedal isn't so much of a problem, it's more its 'manners' in traffic - I don't want anything that's super grabby and difficult at low speed.
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

With a decat and induction kit you'll probably get boost creep to around 1.2bar maybe more.....so i'd definitely not go with a stock clutch. :thumleft:

I found that on one of my old cars with similar mods i couldn't get the boost to stay below 1.25bar and the stock clutch started slipping on that :lol:
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

I can slip a new OEM clutch in mine @ 1.1+ especially with clutch dump. But if I launch sensibly it hooks up fine. Don't think it would do many track days. Stock boost it would be fine I imagine.

Need new tyres first think I flat spotted mine at 120mph ](*,)
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

My last sw20 had an OEM clutch and it still managed to hold on while running high 12 second 1/4 miles @ 110mph. Plenty of 1.35 bar pulls on the ct20b.
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Clutchs are rated in torque. The stock or even most patents will hold 300lbft no problem. 1.2bar is fine. There are many variables to clutch wear so I wouldn't be so hasty to poo poo what is a good clutch!

That said if I knew the car was going to get some abuse past just fast road I'd recommend something slightly updated.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Thoughts on the Exedy linked above?
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

the stage 1 is good clutch, and the weight of the pedal won't be much more than standard :thumleft:
kennym

Post by kennym »

Driftlimits Performance wrote:the stage 1 is good clutch, and the weight of the pedal won't be much more than standard :thumleft:

Hi do you have any recommendations for a track day only car i'll probably never get upto 400 fly HP the plan is to forge & use a gt28 when this engine gives up.

thanks Kenny.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Driftlimits Performance wrote:the stage 1 is good clutch, and the weight of the pedal won't be much more than standard :thumleft:

Any equivalents to consider, or is that pretty much the one?
Lefty1991

Post by Lefty1991 »

Exedy stage 1 organic is an excellent clutch, similar pedal force to oem but much better. Running 330bhp and had no slip even at Santana pod
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

If you wanted something fruitier but for a little more wedge I'd recommend the Helix 6 puck. Definitely skim the flywheel before fitting.it isn't overly heavy so fine for traffic,rated over 400lbft iirc. The bite is similar to stock maybe a faction snappier.

Return to “Modifications”