Downpipe options?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ginjaninja92

Downpipe options?

Post by Ginjaninja92 »

What options are available for aftermarket downpipes? Don't want something cheap that'll crack in no time.

Cheers
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: Downpipe options?

Post by Ryan S »

Berk is the only realistic option.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

ebay.co.uk
sky-net

Post by sky-net »

I bought my 2'5 dp from KO Racing in the States. Price was a bit higher than the others, but it's top notch quality.
As long as the dp you buy allows the wastegate to fully open, I guess it will be fine.
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

The quality of the Berk is a bit shoddy to say the least, warped flanges which they claim is intentional.....

Some pics here
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=

The prime downpipe looks far better quality than the Berk although its listed for a Gen 4 so probably no good?
https://www.primemr2.com/store/p115/PRI ... npipe.html
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

tiff_lee wrote:The quality of the Berk is a bit shoddy to say the least, warped flanges which they claim is intentional.....

Some pics here
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=

The prime downpipe looks far better quality than the Berk although its listed for a Gen 4 so probably no good?
https://www.primemr2.com/store/p115/PRI ... npipe.html

Yeah, i noticed one of my exhaust flanges was warped, still works fine once the gasket is fitted.
The thing is they should still fit ok however how many have you read of failing ? Compared to the alternatve i'm with Sheppy, berks an affordable option :thumleft:

p.s. depending on what power goals you have other recommendations are totally viable, 3" is only important if you are looking at getting into serious power... :oldtongue:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Ryan S wrote:ebay.co.uk

Whoops, I must not have copied the URL! I meant to paste the link. When I took mine off I did see hairline cracks along the bell part of it. I think it had been on the car years though!!

I'm sure there's a UK company stocks these.

http://www.berktechnology.com/store/sto ... downpipes/
Nic

Post by Nic »

Last edited by Nic on Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

http://www.atsracing.net/Parts/Details/EX-ATS-DP-3

I had a Berk, sent the first one back because it was badly warped, the second one was slightly warped but not too bad.. but for the money they cost the build quality isn't great which is a shame because the design of them is the best on the market (look at the size of the section directly behind the wastegate valve of most - they're tiny, and the berk is a nice big transition into the main pipe) but the final fit up and welding is poor.

If I were to do it all again with a stock turbo, I'd probably buy a cheapo ebay one, cut it in half, weld a flexi in and modify it around the wastegate area. or just buy the flanges and make my own from scratch, it's not hard to do.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
Ginjaninja92

Post by Ginjaninja92 »

Thanks for all the replies, I'd had a look at Berks and saw some poor reviews of build quality which is a shame.

Has anyone used the TB Downpipe? Is it manufactured by them?

Thanks again
craig

Post by craig »

Strange because my Berk DP was perfect when I bought it in 2008, and still is perfect 8 years later.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

BRD make a decent looking one - has a flexi, mounting bracket, and the clearance required for the wastegate to actuate fully.

https://www.facebook.com/Brooks.Racing.Dev

After seeing a few examples of recent Berk DP's being pretty sub par, I'm going to go with a BRD one for my conversion.

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

craig wrote:Strange because my Berk DP was perfect when I bought it in 2008, and still is perfect 8 years later.

Build quality seems to have dropped over the years - there was a thread on here about it recently where the flange wasn't even flat, it had warped from welding. There's been a fair few posts on FB regarding quality, and on the US forums too.

Still better than the eBay cheapies though.
craig

Post by craig »

Gazza_DJ wrote:
craig wrote:Strange because my Berk DP was perfect when I bought it in 2008, and still is perfect 8 years later.

Build quality seems to have dropped over the years - there was a thread on here about it recently where the flange wasn't even flat, it had warped from welding. There's been a fair few posts on FB regarding quality, and on the US forums too.

Still better than the eBay cheapies though.

Tis the only explanation! Glad I got mine before the quality slipped though!!
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Yeah, it's a shame really, we need more quality aftermarket bits!

If anyone has got a TB or BRD downpipe I'd love to hear from them. At the moment I'm pretty set on the BRD one after chatting to the guy who makes them. Can't beat some first hand accounts though.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Ginjaninja92 wrote:Has anyone used the TB Downpipe? Is it manufactured by them?

Yes I believe Tim fabricates them himself, I've seen photos of his work and it looks very good quality. If you need to contact him he trades on the Supra forum here: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/member.php ... velopments
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

The BRD is a generic eBay pipe with a flexible added from what I can see, the TB one looks suspiciously similar, but with a longer flexi.

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, price dependent
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

The thing with the Berk pipes is they know the flanges are warped and yet do nothing about it, instead they claim that the warp is intentional to improve the tension on the bolts "By allowing the flange to warp in the direction we want to, the seal is tighter as you place more tension on the bolts".

C35Rob wrote:The BRD is a generic eBay pipe with a flexible added from what I can see, the TB one looks suspiciously similar, but with a longer flexi.

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, price dependent

Yeah that looks very familiar 'japspeed' or ebay special, in fact its the same as the cracked one I removed from mine complete with that random second lambda boss.
JD

Post by JD »

I have a TB Ðév downpipe and if I was allowed to say it's any good I would probably say it is fine :lol:
Ginjaninja92

Post by Ginjaninja92 »

Had a look on the BRD facebook page, they look like a quality item. I've sent him a message so i'll see how it goes.

Thanks again for the helpful replies.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”