[Mk2] [Turbo] Few tech questions for those in the know?

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Bear87

[Mk2] [Turbo] Few tech questions for those in the know?

Post by Bear87 »

Hi guys sorry for multiple questions.
Can someone possibly tell me if my Ecu is 89661 - 17380
Which ignitor is the correct part number?
And is that the correct ecu for a 1992 gen 2 tubby (jdm)

With my continued issues with running / smoking / knock sensor I'm trying to work my way through previous owners work and not convinced he knew what he was doing.

Also replaced ecu as I had a few issues early on in project for a "known good ecu" from eBay which we all know means nothing but in the end I replaced the capacitors on my original ecu. I have now swapped ecu to see if would help my running issues but it won't run on the eBay ecu. Fires and cuts off after a few seconds.

Has anyone had poor running or knock sensor issues from a faulty ecu? And could the wrong ignitor cause running issues?

Thanks in advance chaps
markstevieandmads

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Few tech questions for those in the know?

Post by markstevieandmads »

Its not just the capacitors that go on the rev2 ecus... they cause damage to the tracks which then need bypassing. So will be worth checking continuity on the tracks too.
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

I did do a visual inspection of tracks and checked for dry solders etc I'm a electrical engineer by trade but didn't want to remove individual components until knew what was worth testing. Will defo check tracks for continuity cheers
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Just to confirm that 89661 - 17380 is the correct ECU for a rev 2 turbo. I also had to replace my ECU due to track damage caused by leaking caps. It does seem to be a common complaint on the rev 2.

I had major running issues on my previous rev 2 n/a, which kept cutting out at traffic lights. At first it appear to be fuel pump related, but I eventually found it was the ECU dropping out the open close relay for no apparent reason. The caps looked fine on that ECU, but something was clearly wrong as changing the ECU made the issue go away.

Paul
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

Thanks Paul it's nice to hear I'm not the only one having issues. Did it make your car idle like was running on 3 cylinders? I was very lucky with my capacitors as they hadn't actually leaked before I had replaced them and the other ecu I have looks brand new inside but I work with pcbs on a daily basis and know a tiny component can cause the most frustrating faults. It may well be worth trying another ecu just to confirm never hurts to have a spare!

I have basically changed everything else in the car but don't have the guts to spend out on standalone until it's running okay in standard form. To be fair I forget the Ecu is 24 years old sometimes!
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

No I can't say either car felt like they were only running on three. The n/a just kept cutting out without warning as though it had run out of fuel, whereas the turbo had a very erratic idle which drove me up the pole until one day the engine management light started flickering on and off and when I opened up the ECU it quickly became obvious what had happened. The car had been off the road for over 6 months in the body shop with a semi flat battery and someone suggested that this could have been a factor in causing the caps to leak. But I have no idea if that's true or not.

I recently fitted an Access ECU, and still have the replacement stock ECU I previously fitted. Whilst it was working OK when I obtained it, I changed the two caps I know are prone to leaking as a preventative measure.

It's a shame your over the other side of the country as you would have been welcome to give that a try to see if it solved your problem. But I'm afraid I'm not looking to sell it as known good ones don't seem to come up that often, and I therefore want to keep it as a spare.

It might be worth you putting out a new post asking if anyone in your area has a rev 2 ECU that you could borrow for a test.

Paul

Return to “Electrical”