www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
[Mk2] [Turbo] Using an SRT205 ECU - No Powersteering output

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Electrical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danbob

Feedback Score: 12

1993 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: [Mk2] [Turbo] Using an SRT205 ECU - No Powersteering output Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I'm running a rev3 conversion into a Rev 2 turbo.

As far as I know the ECU I have is from an ST205

Am I right in thinking that the ST205 ECU will not have PSCT and PS pins?

Therefore I will only be able to have PS running permanently, without a speed or idle cut, and won't get any PS idle up?

If so, I'll be wanting a SW20 one

Cheers
Dan
markstevieandmads

Feedback Score: 4

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Im sure shinny is running a st205 ecu for his cc system. Best to ask him.
Danbob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Will do cheers
outrun
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 10

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Just converted my own Rev 2 Turbo to a Rev 3.
I cut the PSCS wire on the car loom and the steering works fine.
Danbob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Hi, yeah ive removed the psct pin and the ps runs, but is there no problem to let it run all the time without having the ecu cut?
shinny

Feedback Score: 29

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Dan PMed me... for the record, this was (part-of) my response:

To get your PS pump to actually run, you need to cut the wires that allow the ECU to switch off the PS, as the ST205 doesn't have those outputs. That does mean my PS pump is active even when the engine isn't running... which was really useful when I needed a tow from the RAC! The PS also switches off at high speed (>50mph) - this is handled by the PS ECU in the frunk and not the engine ECU in the boot. (They receive the speed signal independently) I did not notice a change in this high speed behaviour when I converted my ECU.

I've not really found the slightly changed behaviour is a problem, however I was thinking the other day that connecting the enable wiring the enable wire to an oil pressure switch would provide a nice approximation to the stock behaviour. Not really worth the effort to sort that out though.
markstevieandmads

Feedback Score: 4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

outrun wrote:

Pmd bout this as interested in doing this.
outrun
Premium Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Danbob wrote:
Hi, yeah ive removed the psct pin and the ps runs, but is there no problem to let it run all the time without having the ecu cut?

I left PS connected, cut PSCS and my steering cuts in and out and comes on with ignition like it always has. As above, the ECU for it is in the frunk.
Danbob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

So what is the purpose of the PSCT pin then?
outrun
Premium Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I meant PSCT, not PSCS.

Will have to check notes, but I am sure that PSCT keeps the steering on when the engine is running. PS is the signal to power the steering when the ignition is turned on.
jon
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 15

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Danbob wrote:
So what is the purpose of the PSCT pin then?

The ECU pulls PSCT to ground to disable the power steering. I have a ST205 ECU so I can't test, but from memory it does that when starting to reduce the load on the battery.
Danbob

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

So from what I can gather from response, the answer to the question is....

The st205 ecu does not have any provision for mr2 power steering. You will lose the idle up (ps pin) and the powersteering cut when engine is not running.

But - power steering will still cut at motorway speeds as intended and people are running without both without finding any problems.

Thanks
shinny

Feedback Score: 29

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

markstevieandmads wrote:
outrun wrote:

Pmd bout this as interested in doing this.

My post in Toxo's thread on the subject: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1393030#1393030
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Electrical All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: