[Mk2] [Turbo] Adjusting ODO Reading

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

fahad1417

[Mk2] [Turbo] Adjusting ODO Reading

Post by fahad1417 »

iv bought a new speed hut cluster, how can i change the reading to my current? Also this is a 180mph cluster and my current one still reads in km. Will i need to buy some sort of converter?
aussieGT

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Adjusting ODO Reading

Post by aussieGT »

Apparently theres a place near Yorkshire which can change odo's to whatever you want.

Best off keeping yours at zero, as trying to calculate what was miles to kilometres and what/when/how would look untoward to most.

Easy to explain as, "Here's my KPH speedo/odo, it reads at XXXXXX, I then put a new one in that reads MPH, it's now up to XXX"
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

I fitted 180 mph Speedhut dials to my 180 km turbo cluster, but in order to actually read in mph I then had to fit a converter to the cluster, as it's the cluster that determines whether its reading kph or mph.

The Speedhut dials themselves are just cosmetic.

It would be worth checking the part number on your new cluster to check which model that is. If it's a JDM 180km cluster that someone has fitted Speedhut dials to, and the rear of the cluster is unmodified, you'll need a speed converter.

These are usually either a small pcb panel that is bolted onto the rear of the cluster like this:

Please ignore the black wires as they wouldn't normally be there.

Or you can fit an enclosed converter box by splicing it into the cluster wiring, or I believe splicing it into the ECU wiring.

Hope that helps.

Paul
Last edited by Pauln on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
fahad1417

Post by fahad1417 »

Thankyou very much Paul for your detailed explanation, Its got a little black box on the wiring if i new how to post up a picture I would. I presume thats what it is will fit it on the weekend and find out! fitting wise should be straight swap i presume?
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Yep that little black box is almost certainly the kph to mph converter, so it should be just a straight swap job.

Paul

Return to “Modifications”