Newbie from Glasgow

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mdoh

Newbie from Glasgow

Post by Mdoh »

Hi folks! I'm Mike. I hail from Glasgow Scotland.

I have just come to own a mk2 rev3 Turbo T Bar and being new to the whole MR2 thing I thought I better make myself known to you guys here and annoy the hell out you all with many questions.

I have wanted an MR2 Turbo for about 10 years but circumstances where never right. now they are with insurance so cheap for me now :)

My car background has been Jap stuff for a long time but this will be my first 2 so get ready for many dumb questions.

Has done about 80k miles (mix of KM and miles).

has a couple of mods:
Blitz NUR Spec exhaust
Blitz intercooler
Short shifter of some sort
some uprated brake discs.
have a dyno printout saying 262hp

Other than that its all standard.

The body is a bit ruff paintwork wise but there is no rust showing though, there is a lot of under seal on it which I am hoping is a good thing and not hiding nightmares (i have yet to go digging in the inside of the sill yet though where that foam stuff is meant to be :S). Also has some very interesting wiring going on with a couple of dash switches that I have no clue what they do. But forget all that and it goes like a bat out of hell! :D :D :D

its got low speed squeaking from its suspension when going in a straight line which if its like other older jap cars i've owned it will likely be knackered anti roll bar bushes? I am hoping to poly bush the whole thing asap depending on what horrors are lurking inside those sills so it will likely cure the issue.

Last edited by Mdoh on Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Draven

Re: Newbie from Glasgow

Post by Draven »

Get yourself 15 posts then you can post pictures all over the shop,

:thumleft: We'll all help you as much as we can. There is a large amount of knowledge on here for the MR2.

:mrgreen:
Mdoh

Post by Mdoh »

Ha, I best get posting then :D

Yeah I lurked a bit while I was researching the ins an outs of the turbos. lots of good info flying around.

I only picked up the car at the weekend so this weekend will be the first time I will really be able to dig around in it and figure out what's what and what will need attention over the winter.
Draven

Post by Draven »

:thumleft: They are fun to work on and parts are quite cheap and easy to get hold of..
mister two

Post by mister two »

Welcome along

Where in Glasgow are you from? I'm in the south side and work in the west end. Mine only comes out now and again

I did see a dark (black maybe green?) mk2 on Scotland street yesterday wasn't you was it?
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Hey mate I'm in Glasgow too :thumleft:
You won't be disappointed, it's a wicked car.. I've into double figures on how many I've owned now :shock:

My one has just been put into hibernation for winter but details of it are listed on the link at the bottom of my post if you want to check it out.

If you need a hand with anything give me a shout :thumleft:
Mdoh

Post by Mdoh »

thanks guys

YES THAT WAS ME ON SCOTLAND STREET! :lol: :lol:

its green :mrgreen:

I took it to work check its cold starting and if it would overheat in traffic.

I live in the Southside :)
craig

Post by craig »

Welcome mate. Looking forward to pics :D
mister two

Post by mister two »

Lol was gonna flash you (lights that is) but remembered I was in the RC and you would wonder who the hell I was
ads

Post by ads »

had squeaking as soon as I swapped in some used black turbo billies, was osr shock, after a few hundred miles the noise dissappeared.

enjoy your new car!
Mdoh

Post by Mdoh »

So I spent my first weekend with the car crawling about under it in more detail.

I changed out the anti roll bar links and the front ones that were on the car were much thinner than the ones I had bought. replacements have killed the squeaking and the turn-in handling has improved! Is there a difference between the older revs with these parts or the turbos? looks like the wrong ones were on this.

I also discovered to my horror that the drivers door is totally rotten at the bottom. The sills still seem solid for the moment with some minimum rust forming on the inside when you look from in the cabin. I am going to need a new door very soon through as it now has two massive holes at the bottom were I broke off the rot ](*,)

Also found some light bubbling starting at the bottom of the wings but its tiny pin dots probably from stone chips. looks like it will sand out and repaint but not an immediate concern just now.

funny the passenger side is completely fine with no signs it was ever repaired.

The rest of the suspension components and underside are in good condition for the age, just need some new bushes where some have started to perish. its got very new brake lines and looks like the callipers have been rebuilt recently (brand new bleed valves etc) That probably explains my soft pedal feel, it needs bled properly.

Sooooo anyone in Scotland got a Drivers side door!?
:oops: :lol:
Last edited by Mdoh on Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mdoh

Post by Mdoh »

I also clayed and machined the rest of the paintwork. Looks alot better now and I managed to buff out a fair number of small scuffs. You should have seen the colour of the clay when I was done though, probably the dirtiest car I have seen in a very long time. The green is so much nicer looking now, just a shame about my drivers door :cry:
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

Did you buy the green t-top from Wales?
Mdoh

Post by Mdoh »

indeed I did. Did anyone else go see it or know anything I should be aware of?

Probably could have found better but I enjoy a winter challenge.
Mdoh

Post by Mdoh »

I also found a p1$$ poor sill repair mid way up the drivers side when I started to strip back some waxyol last night. Its solid enough but not pretty. That same sill near the rear arch is showing signs or dying soon from the inside so I will likely need to cut the lot it out in the future so may cut the bad repair out too.
Mdoh

Post by Mdoh »

Right I'm mainly bumping this as I want to post up photos and I'm still below the limit.
Mdoh

Post by Mdoh »

I have chipped away at the drivers side sill and found it to be a complete horror show.
Mdoh

Post by Mdoh »

The back of the wheel arch behind the bumper has also had it on the drivers side.

None of this was originally visible I may add so the guy I bought it from likely had no idea. it was all rot that I have broken off with my hand/screw driver.
Last edited by Mdoh on Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mdoh

Post by Mdoh »

Interesting though that the Passenger side is in great nick, stabbed all around it with my trusty flat head screwdriver and found it all to be solid.
Mdoh

Post by Mdoh »

So here it is!

Looks ok right? Think again....

Return to “Member Profiles”