[Mk2] [Turbo] new suspension - options

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

raptor95GTS

[Mk2] [Turbo] new suspension - options

Post by raptor95GTS »

got a rev3 turbo that's a daily driver and i can feel it wallowing in constant radius curves as it tries to follow the bumps / pot holes. Direction changes are yeah lethargic. Yellow Bilsteins approx 80k miles and mm 11yrs+ old and original OEM (21yrs #-o ) springs so I've got my mileage out of them. I also have big 8x17 ET35 wheels up front and running spacers isn't an option so what's my choices for suspension?

Coilovers are too harsh and will foul the front wheels so do I track down some new yellow Bilsteins and fit some sensible (any left?) springs or is it an option to get some rebuildable N/A stock strut units and then er rebuild them with some fresh inserts and good rate springs?
androo007

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] new suspension - options

Post by androo007 »

I'm about to go down the strut / sprig route. Personally I don't want coilovers and decided on apex springs with some KYB struts from a breaker I had.

You can of course get black billies which was OEM for turbos for around £350; factor in springs and droplinks and for sub £500 you can have a fresh setup.

Many people may say "pah! Get coilovers for that price" but actually many people also seem to only get 10k before they start to deteriorate. ... the above should last another 20 years.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

I'm going for Koni inserts with H&R -20mm springs.

The adjustable damping seems well liked by many on the forums and the -20mm springs are because it's a daily and don't want the underside to scrape, ever.

Many people say lots of good things about -40mm Apex springs.
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

ive gone yellow billies but only been able to get hold of rears so far as they have been doing something to the fronts and have not shipped them out of factory yet :(

didnt want coilovers and one of the standard shocks were shot after 5k :o but two years so couldnt take it back, hence i went yellow
If you see an MR2 with a raised engine cover, the bottom line is it's probably faster than your car.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

androo007 wrote:
You can of course get black billies which was OEM for turbos for around £350

Where can you get a set of brand new black billies for that price?
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

simpson_eh wrote:one of the standard shocks were shot after 5k :o but two years so couldnt take it back

I usually get loads more than that out of standard shocks.

If the roads in your area are really bad you need to tell your local council as they wont want cars damaged prematurely by bad roads.
Tell them how much a new front/rear standard shock costs (or its nearest equivalent if none are available), plus an hour in labour fitting it, and tell them you cant afford to replace a shock every 5k.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

i think -20mm is the lowest I'd ever go as I don't want it rubbing everywhere. Coilovers don't seem to last long, does anyone have experience of Spax's inserts and springs? I assume all rebuildable struts fit turbo models?
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

In the past have used spax and koni inserts, the spax were not as nice really and didn't take the kicking from the poor roads. Koni lasted well. Both were on -40mm springs, can't remember which ones.

Just doing a full suspension refresh on my rev 4, going Koni inserts and H&R springs (-20mm). Cheapest set I've found is £571.
Good road setup and shouldn't scrape on speed humps etc. Which round here is what I'm after as it's a daily driver.

Refreshing the topmounts and ball joints etc while at it, should be a nice setup.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

If you search German ebay you should be able to get a full set of yellow billies. Came across a load of stuff thats harder to get here when I ordered my H&R coilovers.

Just gotta look up the german terms for suspension, although its not so good now the exchange rate has tanked.

Although tbh i'd rate the koni better as a street damper than the B6.
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

rev3gtturbo wrote:
androo007 wrote:
You can of course get black billies which was OEM for turbos for around £350

Where can you get a set of brand new black billies for that price?

New Zealand Toyota dealers. They are ~$150nzd a corner (85 quid)
androo007

Post by androo007 »

I think TCB do them fairly cheap. Mr2ben may be worth a shot too.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

androo007 wrote:I think TCB do them fairly cheap. Mr2ben may be worth a shot too.

Fronts £154 each, rears £204 each from TCB. I make that about £717 for a set without springs. That's a clear £150 over adjustable inserts with springs.

the other site is more money.

Have heard they are a great shock for road use at stock ride heights.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

cheers for the thoughts guys. I have a stock rev3 on yellow Bilsteins so converting to Koni inserts requires buying stock N/A rebuildable struts so all costs add up :)

Return to “Mechanical”