David's Mitsubishi Evo 6 Import

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Draven

David's Mitsubishi Evo 6 Import

Post by Draven »

So as promised here is my thread about my Evo 6, After nearly a year searching I was actually in the process of thinking about importing a clean example from Japan myself as I had noted all the UK cars were suffering seriously with either rust or just bad treatment.

Before I began looking on the Importer sites this car came up on the Lancer Register. I just had to have a look as it looked in the pictures almost as if it has just rolled out the factory. It was located in Scotland which according to Google maps was 487 miles away exactly. Given the option of avoiding the import process and being in the colour I really wanted booking the tickets was an easy decision.

So we landed and picked up a hire car a horrendous Fiat 500 which had more cheap plastic inside than a child's toy. Moving past that we arrived to have a look.

Image Image

The paintwork on the car is stunning bar a couple of minor scuffs it looks new. I spent a good hour walking around the car I was barely able to keep the smile from my face. I normally judge a car on a lot of things but a major factor as to how it has been looked after is the tyres.. If they are budget or decent

Image Image

Just looked at the tread and knew, I didn't even need to read the side.

I noted several issues that I will explain later in the thread but overall I was incredibly happy with the car so I parted with my cash and she was mine. :thumleft:
Draven

Re: David's Mitsubishi Evo 6 Import

Post by Draven »

So I drove the 470+ miles home exceedingly carefully having never driven a car with so much power before I was very aware of cameras etc.

The car ran lovely not missing a beat and was however as thirsty as I had been led to believe drinking considerably more fuel than the MR2 ever did but I was expecting this so I'm not worried. It is only a weekend toy after all.

The avc system is unreal and the levels of grip are beyond anything I've ever felt in a car before I can understand why it was a rally car. The power delivery is sledge hammer like. The only way I can describe it as feral for a turbo charged car it the boost is so quick to spool and simply surges all the way to 1.4bar of boost.

So initial things to look at / fix

• Under heavy breaking there is vibration but also a bit of vibration at 65+ speeds. I believe this is due to badly balanced front wheels, This is a concern so will be one of the first things I look into.

• Speakers randomly do and don't work

• Defi Water temp gauge doesn't work flashes an error code.

• There appears to be some sort of turbo timer that is either badly wired or faulty seems to make the car run on after being turned off.

:thumleft: Nothing too major
Draven

Post by Draven »

Ooo madam what a clean underneath you have.

Image Image

The only thing that I'd like to replace are the ARB's as they look a little crusty. The underside however is so clean you could eat off it.

Ps wet looking bit is cavity wax.. :wink:

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Draven on Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Clean engine bay

However I think i've just spotted one of my issues.

Ah so that'll be why the Defi gauge doesn't work. The cable has completely come away from the sensor, it also appears the sensor is end of line so Defi aren't making them anymore. bu88er.. :cry:
Draven

Post by Draven »

And why my speakers don't work..

:shock: :shock:

No just no, I hate these little plastic clips with a vengeance they are nasty and give a very bad connection as proved here with the fact that the speakers don't work properly.

And yes that is the end of the original connector there. They've simply been piggied onto the wires.

:shock: :shock:

Luckily a quick and simple fix. Although I might be buying some new speakers at some point. :wink:
Draven

Post by Draven »

I can perfectly understand why people fit these seats in other cars, I believe there are quite a few MR2's with Evo 6 seats they support you..

0 bolster wear.. look brand new.. :mrgreen:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

I have spare used JDM water temp sensor in my garage, I'm not 100% sure what brand it was from but it may be a defi (it was fitted to my car when it was imported but the gauge had been removed) - I'll grab a pic of it next time I'm home and if it's the right plug etc you're welcome to have it :thumleft:

car looks like a lovely example, really, really clean underneath - rare for an evo!
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
Caleb-mr2

Post by Caleb-mr2 »

Beautiful car!

I love it in that blue and with those recaros 8)

Enjoy
Draven

Post by Draven »

C35Rob wrote:I have spare used JDM water temp sensor in my garage, I'm not 100% sure what brand it was from but it may be a defi (it was fitted to my car when it was imported but the gauge had been removed) - I'll grab a pic of it next time I'm home and if it's the right plug etc you're welcome to have it :thumleft:

car looks like a lovely example, really, really clean underneath - rare for an evo!

Awesome that would be great, I have done some searching but haven't turned up much. I found one that looked about right but it was on Ebay and it is in Australia which makes me a bit nervous.

I don't think the car has ever seen rain and certainly has never seen any salt. I will be driving mostly dry days and the rest of the time she will be stored in my garage. :thumleft:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Draven wrote:

The car ran lovely not missing a beat and was however as thirsty as I had been led to believe drinking considerably more fuel than the MR2 ever did.

And that my friend is why most evos have so many previous owners, my old one was maybe running 380 bhp and the fuel consumption was awful, now running 450-470 in the mr2 and seeing better fuel consumption than I did on a fairly standard rev 3 turbo 8-[

Don't figure :lol:

I do really like this car of yours, because I was so used to mr2s I didn't actually push my evo round corners until the day I sold it and the guy wanted me to floor it round a few :lol: , almost changed my mind to selling it... :-$
Draven

Post by Draven »

Martin F wrote:
Draven wrote:

The car ran lovely not missing a beat and was however as thirsty as I had been led to believe drinking considerably more fuel than the MR2 ever did.

And that my friend is why most evos have so many previous owners, my old one was maybe running 380 bhp and the fuel consumption was awful, now running 450-470 in the mr2 and seeing better fuel consumption than I did on a fairly standard rev 3 turbo 8-[

Don't figure :lol:

I do really like this car of yours, because I was so used to mr2s I didn't actually push my evo round corners until the day I sold it and the guy wanted me to floor it round a few :lol: , almost changed my mind to selling it... :-$

I think it is just the way they are. If you're prepared for that it is worth it for a special car. I couldn't use it on a daily basis but for a weekend car and a bit of fun who cares if it drinks fuel..

:thumleft:

It really corners like nothing i've ever driven.
Draven

Post by Draven »

So today, I spent 6 hours washing and detailing this consisted of

Wash using Bilt Hamber Auto wash shampoo. This stuff is amazing you litterally use a teaspoons worth and it does a fantastic job.

Rinse off

Dried off with microfibre cloth.

Claybar all over.

Rinse off.

Dry again.

While the car is drying set about washing and cleaning wheels using meguiars shampoo and condition.

Dry wheels.

Wax wheels with Meguiars quick wax

Silicone tyre protection.

Now car completely dry wax using Meguiars Gold Class wax one body part at a time. (I love the smell of this wax)

Hand buff off (haven't got a rotary polisher yet)

Polish Exhaust using T-Cut Original Metal Polish.

Wax windows inside and out with Auto Sol Window wax.

Buff off.

Apply the window wax to the lights front and rear.

Buff off.

Clean all black plastic with SP Wonderspray.

Clean all interior plastics with SP Wonderspray (this stuff is absolutely amazing)

Hoover interior (normally i'd shampoo but no need as it is already clean)

Hoover boot.

Basic Clean of Engine bay (there is a whole other process I do for this but didn't do today)

And that's it. So if you've ever wondered why a full professional valet is so expensive it takes a long time and uses quite a lot of products.
Last edited by Draven on Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Draven

Post by Draven »

And it looks like this when done. (fading light and phone camera)

Draven

Post by Draven »

Wheel work

I need to get some new centre caps, I have found the right ones so i'll get them ordered
JD

Post by JD »

Six hours well spent. Same again next weekend? :lol:

No but really that looks magnificent. Would you have taken the carpets out to wash?
Draven

Post by Draven »

JD wrote:Six hours well spent. Same again next weekend? :lol:

No but really that looks magnificent. Would you have taken the carpets out to wash?

It really depends on how dirty they are really, If they were bad then yes but in this instance I just hoovered.

I've used one of those carpet cleaners with good results previously.

I find washing and detailing so my fun it is really relaxing and when you can stand back after and admire your hard work. I really want a rotary polisher as that would cut hours off the time spent polishing

My next step is engine bay which will probably be next weekend if I have time. The Cross brace could do with some work. I may also remove the wheels and clean inside hopefully i'll have the centre caps by then too.

:mrgreen:
Draven

Post by Draven »

And yes the car does stay in the garage on a carpet.. The garage is heated and has a De-humidier

:thumleft: My Misses jokes that i treat it better than her.
JD

Post by JD »

Draven wrote:And yes the car does stay in the garage on a carpet.. The garage is heated and has a De-humidier

It's probably true - Cars need even more TLC than people to stay looking that good! :lol:
Draven

Post by Draven »

JD wrote:
Draven wrote:And yes the car does stay in the garage on a carpet.. The garage is heated and has a De-humidier

It's probably true - Cars need even more TLC than people to stay looking that good! :lol:

The hours my lady spends getting ready would probably disagree with that statement..

Draven

Post by Draven »

Speakers all fixed, Rewired and heat shrinked properly. No pictures as I forgot. :thumleft:

Much easier to get the inside door handle out than the MR2, I don't think i ever found one that wasn't broken.

Return to “Member Profiles”