Coolant metal pipes

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bmwbill

Coolant metal pipes

Post by bmwbill »

Hi been a while since I have been on, looking for some info my Mk1 has been of the road for two years,I had a dilemma do I keep the car and spend some time and effort and money to get the car back up to scratch or scrap it we'll I decided to keep it at present I have completed the welding of new sills rear inner arch refurbed the complete suspension,replaced the hand brake cables,refurb all the brake callipers all round,I have the front crossmember for the radiator to replace have managed to source a replacement. The info I am after does anyone know the thread sizes for the drain screws on the two metal coolant pipes that run front to back of the car ? One of mine the head just came of as I put a socket on it :pale: thanks in advance
Boddney

Re: Coolant metal pipes

Post by Boddney »

I never touch mine mate. I'd say if it's not leaking, leave it alone and drain the system elsewhere. That's the advice I had from Jimi when I first started doing my Mk1 many years ago and it's always worked for me.

Good luck.

Bod
bmwbill

Re: Coolant metal pipes

Post by bmwbill »

Had no option as there was sweep from the bolt :(,however when I went to drill a pilot hole in what was let the drill went through with no force then I gust got a taping drill for m8 threads and did not use a drill just by hand,all the bolt must have just rotted away then taped it out m8 new bolt and copper washer and all is well, thanks for the reply now onto replacing all the brake pipes now.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”