My story so far

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

metallica fish

My story so far

Post by metallica fish »

Hi all, I'm Liam from Durham.

since before I passed my test I've always loved MR2's. It's been a dream car ever since I saw one. I ended up getting married REALLY young and went though some pretty harsh financial times when the building trade went on it's ar$e. I had to settle for whatever car a could afford.

After leaving the building trade I found a job I am pretty damn good at, and i started to get back on my feet. my wife promised me a MR2 for my 23rd birthday, but just before my 23rd we found out she was pregnant! So that went out of the window.

around 2 years ago I decided to start saving little bits and bobs to get the car of my dreams. All was going well until this happened...

(lad got it wrong, it's a ST155)

after the shock... I'm thinking "at least the owner of the house will have to get me a new car"
HOW WRONG I WAS!!!

ACT OF GOD apparently.

Also not worth claiming on my insurance due to high excess and losing almost 10 years no claims.

BOOM savings all gone on a new car.

Back in July my grandma passed away. She was not a rich woman but she managed to leave all her grand kids a few quid. She loved to drive and i always remember her brown leather driving gloves. She didn't take it too well when she had her licence taken off her due to dementia. Now whether this was the right thing to do or not, I don't know? I put the money to one side and sold a few collectibles I had laying around the house and I managed to get hold of my first MR2 for a grand total of £500 including getting it towed to my house.

(yes that is my ST155 next to it. And NO i Didn't get it fixed :lol: I just like them so I bought another one)

The MR2 runs well but needs a fair amount of work to get her the way I want her.

So stay tuned as someone with next to no mechanical experience takes on this task. And if anyone local wants to give me a hand one day I won't say no.

Liam
aussieGT

Re: My story so far

Post by aussieGT »

metallica fish wrote:
ACT OF GOD apparently.

God does not like fords obviously and wanted you to get an mr2 as well.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

aussieGT wrote:
metallica fish wrote:
ACT OF GOD apparently.

God does not like fords obviously and wanted you to get an mr2 as well.

Insurance companies will use any excuse to get out of doing what you pay the privilege for, if you or I we did what they get away with we would be jailed, hate the system ](*,)

Anyway, Glad you finally got a mr2, sounds like you deserved a fully built turbo to make your dreams come true but with life that just wasn't to be for now, welcome to the fold all the same and good luck with the car :thumleft:
metallica fish

Post by metallica fish »

First real bit of work on the car today. I had the materials already in the house so I can continue to save for parts. Normally I assume this would be one of the last things to do on a build but fancied getting started.

Sanding this down by hand was a feat in it's self.

fiberglass behind the hole

body filler

sanded

filler primer, sanded, repeat. ready for storage
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Tuned in 8)
craig

Post by craig »

DAN_REV1_TURBO wrote:Tuned in 8)

^this. Welcome mate. :thumleft:
Draven

Post by Draven »

I'm interested in this as well. :shock: but those bricks on that car so unlucky.

Glad you've picked yourself back up. and have a 2.

Subscribed. :thumleft:
qwakers

Post by qwakers »

thats rough mate.

subscribed and watching with interest... :thumleft:
metallica fish

Post by metallica fish »

Nothing to really report. Just quietly saving for parts and welding.

For what I have done though I felt the need for a mate to make this for me... the beauty of the project car being in public view :roll:

Draven

Post by Draven »

Haha nice :thumleft:

I can perfectly understand the whole doing it in public had a fair few people walk past my MR2 when i lived in my old place.

:mrgreen:
Mdoh

Post by Mdoh »

I'm amazed at how much attention a Mk2 gets, even when its in the middle of being restored.

I just got mine and its pretty rough (swiss cheese drivers door) but loads of folk come over to ask about it when i'm working on it. Never got this much attention when ripping apart other cars in front of my garage :lol:
metallica fish

Post by metallica fish »

Can't have anything nice round here!

Some delightful little children have snapped off my wiper blades, and have been jumping on the car. ](*,)
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Oh man, sorry to hear that, you must be livid and sad at the same time. Any suspects?
Draven

Post by Draven »

Oh ffs, what little asshats. I'd be so angry.

:(
metallica fish

Post by metallica fish »

androo007 wrote:Oh man, sorry to hear that, you must be livid and sad at the same time. Any suspects?

aye mate. some 17 year old lass who run the "gang" round here :lol:

Hands are tied with it being a female! ](*,) I wouldn't be putting anything on the net at all if it was a male 18+ :-$

cops came round yesterday. They were as much use as chocolate fire guards. I put in a CCTV body cam in the car last night. I haven't reviewed it yet though. Not sure how long it will record as I have only ever used it for minutes at a time on problem nights at work.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Is it possible to get the car moved for a while? [-( Just somewhere they can't see it. They might forget about it if it spends a couple of weeks somewhere else.

I'm so gutted for you mate. :evil: I'm not sure I could contain myself even if it was a female. Male or female scum is scum!!!
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

:shock: that sucks so much. Any chance of keeping it in a garage if local scum are going to be doing that. :cry:
metallica fish

Post by metallica fish »

no chance if it going in a garage. But I might be able to move it... for a few weeks if nothing else. Next door is empty at the moment and they have a drive on the backstreet - which I believe is covered by CCTV as it's opposite the back entrance to a shop.

I should have time to move it Wednesday.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Get it moved, they will lose interest and move on to destroying something else.

I always wonder if these people ever actually create anything themselves. Other than children to take advantage of the benefits system.
JD

Post by JD »

Man I'm really sorry to hear that. You really can't have anything nice any more, even if you worked your ar$e off and have been through hell and high water to achieve it. I'm tuned in to see your progress 👍

Return to “Member Profiles”