[Mk2] [Turbo] GT3582R advice - Cam choices

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rs319r

[Mk2] [Turbo] GT3582R advice - Cam choices

Post by rs319r »

Guys and Girls,

Looking for some advice for planning the future of my car. I have a Rev 3 turbo and have just bought a gt3582r (including manifold and external wastegate) from a friend as it was to cheap to refuse. The car has had a full engine rebuild 1,500miles ago. Had forged cp carillo pistons in for a bit of strength, hks headgasket, a motec ecu and a decent map done, but at the time i wasn't planning on going crazy bhp with it.

I also have some other parts sat at home waiting to be put on, wolfkatz topfeed fuel rail, 1000cc injectors, osgiken str twin plate, walbro 255 fuel pump and the gt3582r.

the question i had is,
-Have i messed up, should i have put carillo connecting rods in, should there have been cams , valves, pulley and springs to make use of the turbo. - if so whats the best match in cam choices for a 3582. What can i get away with?

-Intercooler choices - I'm at a loss at the moment,but prefering the boot mounted option. Any objections

Thanks for the help, I'm very open to opinions and grateful for any advice!

Cheers,

Chris
sky-net

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] GT3582R advice - Cam choices

Post by sky-net »

Have a look at this thread for information purposes here

For that turbo, I wouldn't go with anything under 264's. It's said that stock rods are ok for 400 hp level. Are you planning a higher power level?

Plenty of members have posted useful info in their build threads with similar specs. I suggest you to have a look there too.

Regards
Hez

Post by Hez »

Sure there are people who have run 500+ on stock rods and standard cams if the can come forward, think the high rpm is what kills the rods.

I would get that fueling setup then spend your money on keeping intake temps down so go for that bootmount.

With that and what you have now you would see well into the 400's surely?
ashley

Post by ashley »

Stock head and cams, rods will be fine....you could make more power with bigger cams and valves, but you can always do that later.

Concentrate on fuelling and intercooling...you may want a bigger pump than the 255lph depending on how far you go. Boot mount is one option, or look at charge coolers...feel free to ask any questions :thumleft:
Milo_101

Post by Milo_101 »

First of all, what are your power goals? what are you gonna be doing to with the car and what powerband would you like to have? what's your current turbo setup? Very important to answer these truthfully to yourself.
Don't get caught up in the deals you get.

Building you engine around a particular turbo is not always smart, because you may end up buying a bunch of stuff just to make it work together. and that ends up costing you more, and enjoying the car less.
You don't want to jump in a hole, and then spend time and money trying to dig yourself out again.

I say, make the power you want with the smallest turbo possible, but with room for some improvement. a gt35R is a 450whp+ turbo, so you pretty much HAVE to get cams to make it work efficiently in the upper rpm range. Stock cams simply cannot flow enough air up there that the turbo is capable of and your torque will drop off very quickly the closer you get to redline with stock cams.

If you are not willing to do cams at the moment, i'd say sell the gt35, get something smaller that will be more efficient at lower power levels where you don't choke the engine up top. In the future you could always upgrade. I you want to do cams, i'd say go GSC S1 268 cams. (Get high lift version if you can).Kelford also makes some similar units.

HKS cams are great but wayy overpriced. There are newer cams for the 3sgte that preform similarly like Brian Crowers for example.

Like others have said, don't forget about supporting mods.

Return to “Mechanical”