[Mk2] [Turbo] Clock-->boost gauge?

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR2Kyle

[Mk2] [Turbo] Clock-->boost gauge?

Post by MR2Kyle »

Hey folks,
I like to keep my car as standard looking as I can and one thing I was thinking was is there any way you could set up the clock so it not only reads the time but can also be switched to display a digital boost gauge? Could hardly buy a boost gauge and just use the circuit from it and modify the clock in some way to switch between the two displays? I know this seems a bit extreme but the car was a na so the dash is staying and I don't want anything obvious sticking out of the dash.....if anyone has any ideas or can help me fire away :thumleft:
Mk1b 1989 Mica Blue
Mk2 rev3 1993 NA Turquoise
Mk2 rev5 1999 Cosmos Blue with st215 conversion 😉
abovetherim

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Clock-->boost gauge?

Post by abovetherim »

Surely it would be much easier to put a boost gauge in the speedo cluster. Just put it where the voltmeter is just like the OE position for the boost on/off indicator (not really an accurate boost gauge by all accounts).
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Everything is possible if you put enough time/effort/money into it

You would need something like an arduino board, map sensor, an lcd display that will fit in place of the original clock screen, some basic electronics/code knowledge or the drive to learn

So yeah, totally possible, but something you'd have to do yourself, there isn't an off the shelf 'mr2 boost gauge clock' plug and play kit
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

http://cstark27.blogspot.co.uk/

There are quite a few examples available online complete with example code and lists of components used. Would be an interesting project.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Gazza_DJ wrote:http://cstark27.blogspot.co.uk/

There are quite a few examples available online complete with example code and lists of components used. Would be an interesting project.

Perfect example, given the potential of the arduino boards (check out the speeduino ECU for example) it'd be pretty cool to knock up a Din sized readout (or even feed the info to a double din lcd screen) that could do boost, oil temp and press, water temp, peak hold and warning on all of the parameters, you could even have it control boost, etc etc, the possibilities are literally endless :thumleft:
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Awesome, the amount of things that people use Arduino's for never ceases to amaze me.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

There are some projects to build ECU's using Arduino's - http://speeduino.com/wiki/index.php/Overview
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

This is going off topic now, but I'm certain someone with more time on their hands than me could create a standalone knock control system with an arduino. There's already an arduino knock detector (guides online) there must be a relatively simple way to get it to intercept the ECU (I.e power FC) IGN signal and retard IGN if 'real' knock is seen

The power FC has already been cracked/decoded (Datalogit/FChako) so it's clearly possible - imagine how popular an add-on box to give the PFC knock control and some decent I/O would be.

Imagine a piggyback box for a couple of hundred pounds that would give your PFC knock control, w/m control, USB stick datalogging, launch, anti lag etc - it'd literally fly off the imaginary shelves.
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

C35Rob wrote:
Gazza_DJ wrote:http://cstark27.blogspot.co.uk/

Perfect example, given the potential of the arduino boards (check out the speeduino ECU for example) it'd be pretty cool to knock up a Din sized readout (or even feed the info to a double din lcd screen) that could do boost, oil temp and press, water temp, peak hold and warning on all of the parameters, you could even have it control boost, etc etc, the possibilities are literally endless :thumleft:

On a similar note you could do all this with an android head unit/tablet setup.

Or a more plug and play solution is to use a Toyobd1
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1505898572959292/
unfortunately it has snags connecting to my Eonon android head unit ><
2mad

Post by 2mad »

C35Rob wrote:This is going off topic now, but I'm certain someone with more time on their hands than me could create a standalone knock control system with an arduino. There's already an arduino knock detector (guides online) there must be a relatively simple way to get it to intercept the ECU (I.e power FC) IGN signal and retard IGN if 'real' knock is seen

The power FC has already been cracked/decoded (Datalogit/FChako) so it's clearly possible - imagine how popular an add-on box to give the PFC knock control and some decent I/O would be.

Imagine a piggyback box for a couple of hundred pounds that would give your PFC knock control, w/m control, USB stick datalogging, launch, anti lag etc - it'd literally fly off the imaginary shelves.

Wow hell yeah .. i would have bought that like a shot :thumleft:
jon

Post by jon »

There was a multi function display made by Dynosty in the US that replaced the standard clock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6wfjccHXOg

They don't make them anymore, but they did say they'd consider making another batch if 10 people pay upfront.

http://www.mr2oc.com/32-mr2oc-authorize ... -volt.html
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Jon,

you're the guy that developed the daughter board for the stock ECU aren't you?

what do you think of the feasibility of using an Arduino (or similar?) to add functionality to the PFC? primarily USB datalogging and knock control?
jon

Post by jon »

C35Rob wrote:you're the guy that developed the daughter board for the stock ECU aren't you?

Yep, thats me.

C35Rob wrote:what do you think of the feasibility of using an Arduino (or similar?) to add functionality to the PFC? primarily USB datalogging and knock control?

I don't think the standard Arduino is powerful enough to handle knock control. You do know control you need to be sampling the knock sensor signal at 15Khz as a minimum. The data then needs to be cleaned up, filtered and interpreted. Doing all that on a 20Mhz 8-bit Microcontroller is pushing it a bit.

Something like the Arduino Due would be more suitable with it's Cortex M3 MCU. It is 32-bit, runs at 84Mhz and has high-speed USB.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

What about a Raspberry Pi?
jon

Post by jon »

Gazza_DJ wrote:What about a Raspberry Pi?

It would be quite hard to get sub microsecond accuracy on ignition timing on something that's running an OS. Removing the OS and programming the board bare metal would be a massive undertaking, especially since Broadcom haven't AFAIK released all the chip documentation.
Also the chip is in a BGA package which isn't automotive friendly. The board takes a lot of power which makes building an automotive quality power supply for it harder.
Probably great for displaying info in the car, but I wouldn't want it controlling the ignition timing!

Return to “Electrical”