[Mk2] [Turbo] Best Braking ?? , advice welcome.

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JLW

[Mk2] [Turbo] Best Braking ?? , advice welcome.

Post by JLW »

Hi Guys

So Im sure this is a topic that has been covered multiple times already, but hey
"if you dont ask, you dont get"
Im running the standard Rev 3 Turbo callipers all round,
with what looks like standard non drilled , non grooved cheap discs.
albeit with a pair of "Chris Wilson fast road pads" now I only know this
as Ross the previous owner told me when I bought the car last year, and due to a receipt.

Recently my stint on track at Silverstone highlighted the need for much better brakes as about 2/3rd's
into the 20 minute session I had appalling brake fade from the long straight into a fast left-hander at a pretty fast speed.
Ever since that session they are just not that responsive although tbh I had always intended to upgrade.

Now my question is, do I buy a decent set of discs and pads and bed them in properly or do I save
( hard for me to do lol ) and go for an aftermarket big brake setup ?

Im guessing the 1st option is going to be what most of you say, especially as I'm only running 260bhp atm.
But soon will be in the low to mid 300's due to mapping and potential turbo upgrade.

Discs I have considered are: http://www.fensport.co.uk/Parts/Model_2 ... ory_11/834
Pads: ?

Any advice welcome guys,

thanks,

Jordan.
thomp1983

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Best Braking ?? , advice welcome.

Post by thomp1983 »

New oem quality discs, porterfield pads , braided lines and dot5 fluid or ate superblue.

Your current brakes are toast basically as you've overheated them, downside is that lot above will run to £3-400 but it will work well.

You'll need to decide if the car really is a track car or road car there isn't really a road friendly pad that will last a decent amount of time on track. Porterfields or carbotechs that are suitable for the road will probably only last 2-3 hours of hard track use, any proper track pad will take too long too warm up on normal roads to be safe
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Have a look at Motul RBF660 for the brake fluid. It's not DOT5.1 rated but actually exceeds the temperature ratings for DOT5.1. The reason it's not DOT5.1 is because of it's viscosity at very low temperatures - https://www.motul.com/system/product_de ... 1340124817

Disadvantages are price and you need to change it more often as it absorbs water more easily than 'standard' fluids.
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

thomp1983 wrote:New oem quality discs, porterfield pads , braided lines and dot5 fluid or ate superblue.

Your current brakes are toast basically as you've overheated them, downside is that lot above will run to £3-400 but it will work well.

You'll need to decide if the car really is a track car or road car there isn't really a road friendly pad that will last a decent amount of time on track. Porterfields or carbotechs that are suitable for the road will probably only last 2-3 hours of hard track use, any proper track pad will take too long too warm up on normal roads to be safe

This is spot on
Any of the big disc conversion just seem out of balance for me and overkill.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I had quite a bit of fade with Porterfield R4S at bedford and this was on a mainly wet day. The R4 compound is their proper track compound, but they do not recomend for street use.

One option would be to get two sets of pads and then switch when needed.

Carbotech XP8's work great on track and are allright on the road, but they realy need a fair bit of heat to keep em nice. I woudnt be using them on a car that is used a lot on the road due to the dust and noise.
JLW

Post by JLW »

Hi Guys

Thanks for the input, the car is nearly exclusively
A road based car. The track session was purely because
You could at Japfest. However I'm not far from brands
And expect I will give it a go in the future.

David at TCB ( excellent service ) is getting a quote on a
K Sport "BBC" for the front and also a quotation on dimpled
And grooved discs with his choice of pad.

To be honest, I want to steer away from a pad that generates
Excessive dust as I'm a bit of a clean freak lol. But
More important then anything is performance for fast road
So something that heats up fast but can withstand high
Temps etc, you know the score :lol:

P.S spoke to scott at Abbey Motorsport and they put Millers 300 plus fluid
In the brakes, this stuff !
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60239-mille ... -plus.aspx
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

My drive down to Wales yesterday with a bunch of bikers and as you can imagine I was pushing hard to keep up. I had a couple scary moments on stock pads with massive fade but they did bite as the speed dropped.

Based on my experience I reckon a fast road pad would be ok with braids and decent fluid. BBK reserved for frequent track users.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I wouldnt go with something like the K-Sport bbk, its way overkill for your application. Also I bet it's not designed to take into account the mr2's brake bias.

If you really feel like you need a bbk then at least go for the WMS one as it was designed to keep the brake balance close to standard and you can still use smaller diameter wheels. But honestly I wouldn't bother.

There are plenty of other pad compounds you could try from companies like dixell/enless/project mu that might fit what you want.
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

You could also take a look at the wilhelmraceworks kit. This kit has definitely been designed to keep bias as close to oem as posdible while improving heat dissipation and pedal feel. It's not 100 % perfect but pretty close.
Adam86
Premium Member

Post by Adam86 »

Carbotech xp8 pads, standard discs and motal rbf660 fluid.

Braided lines are good but not essential by any means.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

If you're going that far, you may as well add braided lines to the list anyway. Will be much better than tired old OE ones!
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

you could fix new stock brake lines, i doubt most of us would notice the difference (though I did replace my rusted braided with another braided set)
Nic

Post by Nic »

I'd also fit a brake mater cylinder stopper, they really help to firm up the pedal feel.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Nic wrote:I'd also fit a brake mater cylinder stopper, they really help to firm up the pedal feel.

Are these available for ABS models?
JLW

Post by JLW »

Nic wrote:I'd also fit a brake mater cylinder stopper, they really help to firm up the pedal feel.

Hi Mate

are these available new, or are they just one of those things that come up second hand ? , I've seen them before either way. do they help that much ?

thanks,

J.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

with abs

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-SW ... Swvt1WRjiY

can't find a non abs unit currently, you can get them from japan or make one there not complicated
JLW

Post by JLW »

thomp1983 wrote:with abs

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-SW ... Swvt1WRjiY

can't find a non abs unit currently, you can get them from japan or make one there not complicated

Need a non ABS one myself, might put a request out on "Parts Wanted" section
Nic

Post by Nic »

JLW wrote:are these available new, or are they just one of those things that come up second hand ? , I've seen them before either way. do they help that much ?

Cusco made the original ones but there are loads of copies out there, they normally only fit non-ABS MR2's.

If you get someone to press the brake pedal whilst idling you'll be able to see the brake master cylinder flexing on the bulkhead. The stopper eliminates this flex which really helps to firm up the pedal feel and transfer more of the braking effort to the calipers.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
JLW

Post by JLW »

Ive been in contact with Paul at TCB parts
who's been very helpful and has suggested
this setup, EBC dimpled and grooved discs as pictured.
mated with Yellow stuff pads and HEL braided lines.

thoughts on this setup, all coming in around £400 for
all 4 corners.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

I wouldn't recommend EBC parts to anyone personally.

Return to “Modifications”