www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Modified MK3 mr2

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK3 2000-2007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mr2carol




Joined: 04 May 2016
Posts: 13
Location: Surrey
Feedback Score: 0



PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Modified MK3 mr2 Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I was wondering how many modified MK3 Mr2's are around and to what specfication they were built to. I never seem to see them come up for sale.

Are there any owners of the original silverstone performance TTE kits using this forum? Modifying the MK3 seems very difficult without spending thousands which is a disappointment for such a capable chassis.

I dont regret my MK3 purchase at all but its a shame there arent more options and bigger following for the car. [Sad]
It seems there just isnt the appetite for tuning this car which pushes prices sky high.


Last edited by mr2carol on Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
User is offline 
Jaspa
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser



Joined: 11 Feb 2005
Posts: 4755
Location: Gatwick (ish)
Feedback Score: 14

1986 Toyota MR2 Mk1b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Bob across to http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/index.php

You'll find good knowledge on options like turboing or engine swaps like the 2zz, K20 or a couple of V6 options.

Mine is standard engine wise apart from decat, TTE Exaust and air filter. I keep getting a hankering for an engine swap but so far my other project is sucking my .

HTH

Stuart
_________________
Quote:
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
Back to top
User is offline 
oddshoes
Premium Member



Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Posts: 1676
Location: South Bucks
Feedback Score: 78

1995 Toyota MR2 Mk2 V6

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

there is ways, I have a lightly modified mk3 as my daily, my missus had a turbo charged (sp240) mk3 and i am getting an MR-s (Japanese version of the roadster) which was modified out there as my new project next week


Dave
Back to top
User is offline 
mr2carol




Joined: 04 May 2016
Posts: 13
Location: Surrey
Feedback Score: 0



PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I can see a few modded ones on ROC. The turbo is out of my reach so besides a 2ZZ conversion I cant see what I can do to provide any meaningful increases.

Ive already got a TTE exhaust and a Unichip remap doesnt seem worth it.
Back to top
User is offline 
MilesH




Joined: 24 Dec 2009
Posts: 94

Feedback Score: 0



PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

mr2carol wrote:
I can see a few modded ones on ROC. The turbo is out of my reach so besides a 2ZZ conversion I cant see what I can do to provide any meaningful increases.

Ive already got a TTE exhaust and a Unichip remap doesnt seem worth it.


Yep, that's about it. Limited bhp increases to the 1zz (150-160 really), exhuast, ecu, cams etc. But otherwise best is either bolt on a turbo or go 2zz (180-190bhp).

What bhp are you after?
Back to top
User is offline 
mr2carol




Joined: 04 May 2016
Posts: 13
Location: Surrey
Feedback Score: 0



PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

MilesH wrote:
mr2carol wrote:
I can see a few modded ones on ROC. The turbo is out of my reach so besides a 2ZZ conversion I cant see what I can do to provide any meaningful increases.

Ive already got a TTE exhaust and a Unichip remap doesnt seem worth it.


Yep, that's about it. Limited bhp increases to the 1zz (150-160 really), exhuast, ecu, cams etc. But otherwise best is either bolt on a turbo or go 2zz (180-190bhp).

What bhp are you after?



Id love about 180-190bhp to really exploit the chassis. A 2ZZ conversion is a bit out of my reach at the moment but perhaps something for the future. The biggest issue would be sourcing the donor engine/gearbox.
Back to top
User is offline 
oddshoes
Premium Member



Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Posts: 1676
Location: South Bucks
Feedback Score: 78

1995 Toyota MR2 Mk2 V6

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Well my other half's turbo kit for her old roadster is for sale on ebay if thats of any interest and should see you to that bhp level as it made 192bhp at surrey rolling road on 2zz injectors. With 440 injections its ment to see you to 240bhp and 240 ftlb
Back to top
User is offline 
mr2carol




Joined: 04 May 2016
Posts: 13
Location: Surrey
Feedback Score: 0



PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

oddshoes wrote:
Well my other half's turbo kit for her old roadster is for sale on ebay if thats of any interest and should see you to that bhp level as it made 192bhp at surrey rolling road on 2zz injectors. With 440 injections its ment to see you to 240bhp and 240 ftlb


what sort of figure you thinking?
Back to top
User is offline 
oddshoes
Premium Member



Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Posts: 1676
Location: South Bucks
Feedback Score: 78

1995 Toyota MR2 Mk2 V6

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

This is kit which I personally removed it from the car too

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1ZZ-Turbo-kit-for-Toyota-MR2-MK3-Roadster-MRS-1-8-/152170613029?fits=Model%3AMR+2&hash=item236e134925:g:ydQAAOSw6WdXimUA

Its an SP240 kit but with 2zz injectors rather than the 440 which it oringal was built for. I know that she is wanting 2500 cash
Back to top
User is offline 
mr2carol




Joined: 04 May 2016
Posts: 13
Location: Surrey
Feedback Score: 0



PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Bit out of my range. Would probably need mapping aswell plus the fitting. Just too much for me right now.
Back to top
User is offline 
Jvanzyl




Joined: 06 Oct 2015
Posts: 17
Location: Hertfordshire
Feedback Score: 0

2001 Toyota MR2 Mk3 Roadster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Have you considered the MAF mod?
I have that for sale if you want to try it?
Back to top
User is offline 
mr2carol




Joined: 04 May 2016
Posts: 13
Location: Surrey
Feedback Score: 0



PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Jvanzyl wrote:
Have you considered the MAF mod?
I have that for sale if you want to try it?


Just trying to read up on it. How much do you think it increases the performance on a standard car?
Back to top
User is offline 
Jvanzyl




Joined: 06 Oct 2015
Posts: 17
Location: Hertfordshire
Feedback Score: 0

2001 Toyota MR2 Mk3 Roadster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I can't paste the URL as I've not made enough posts - but have a look on SpyderChat by googing spyder chat and "maf mod".
tons of feedback on there.

From my own personal experience it's about torque. I found myself not having to change gear as much, and simply put my foot down when I needed to. 0-60 was quicker (Butt dyno) - I didn't measure time difference though.

So I can't give you a number per se - but I can give you an experience which says that it definitely makes a difference and you don't have to rev it so high to get the power. You essentially get the torque that was available at 6000 rpm happening lower down.
Back to top
User is offline 
mr2carol




Joined: 04 May 2016
Posts: 13
Location: Surrey
Feedback Score: 0



PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Jvanzyl wrote:
I can't paste the URL as I've not made enough posts - but have a look on SpyderChat by googing spyder chat and "maf mod".
tons of feedback on there.

From my own personal experience it's about torque. I found myself not having to change gear as much, and simply put my foot down when I needed to. 0-60 was quicker (Butt dyno) - I didn't measure time difference though.

So I can't give you a number per se - but I can give you an experience which says that it definitely makes a difference and you don't have to rev it so high to get the power. You essentially get the torque that was available at 6000 rpm happening lower down.


Sounds about right. Im a bit concerned about the mod in terms of knocking etc. Just discovered a cooling issue on her aswell so Im going to need to sort that asap [Sad] before anything else.
Back to top
User is offline 
Jvanzyl




Joined: 06 Oct 2015
Posts: 17
Location: Hertfordshire
Feedback Score: 0

2001 Toyota MR2 Mk3 Roadster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Whats up with your cooling? Are you running out of coolant?

Bottom left corner of radiator is prone to a small leak - but a new one is quite cheap.

In terms of knocking you really havent got anything to worry about in the UK. You just use premium fuel (Vpower, momentum or BP equivalent) and it's everywhere so I honestly would not be concerned about it.
Back to top
User is offline 
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK3 2000-2007 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group