[Mk2] [Turbo] Upping boost rev 2 turbo outcome

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

markstevieandmads

[Mk2] [Turbo] Upping boost rev 2 turbo outcome

Post by markstevieandmads »

Yawn!!! I hear you cry!!! But bear with me.....it's not the usual question.

I've been running 0.8-0.9 bar for the last two years with standard Intercooler. The car has been happily running with this all this time.

Recently I decided to fit the uprated Intercooler I had sat around with better fan and running the fan constant too on it.

The other Sunday I though I'd try running it at 1bar (using the same MBC).

Down the motorway it was fine and was boosting up to 1bar with a bit of a very short spike to 1.1bar at one point. The car was fine.

I then hit the dual carriageway and boosted it again and the engine lost power and engine light came on then off. After that it wouldn't rev past 2k.
I took it easy and stopped when I could and turned the boost back down to 0.8-0.9 bar and reset the ecu and everything was back ok again. Full boosting.

Now my question is, I believe the knock sensor sensed knock and went into limp mode. I dont think I hit boost cut (it's got a fcd on it but don't know what it's set at as it was on car when I bought it 3 yrs ago) as it wasn't a sudden shutdown of power. Unfortunately I didn't have anything to read the codes with before I reset it. Also I'm sure I didn't hit full boost when the eml came on. It also went off again within a few secs.

It was a warm day Sunday , so why would my engine produce knock like that?
My first opinion is the fuel pump is the original so not supplying enough fuel for the boost hence creating knock.
My temps was normal too.

What else can create knock?

Running the usual shell vpower petrol.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Upping boost rev 2 turbo outcome

Post by Ryan S »

Warm day, bit of heat soak, bit of boost. Could quite easily create higher than normal intake temps which turn could cause detonation :pale:
markstevieandmads

I'd thought it be more of a fuel issue?
I suppose the idea of wm injection is to prevent knock and that reduces intake temps so I see what your saying.
Obviously my "upgraded" intercooler isn't so upgrading lol

Thanks

Need to get a wideband on to see further what's going on.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Thats the limitations of a sidemount unfortunately. Although i'd be surprised to see it flaring up the knock sensor.
markstevieandmads

Once I've paid off a few bills I think I be going charge cooler, ct20b and rev 3 fuel conversion.

Thanks for the input.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Limitations of a CT26 as well, I used to run my old rev2 at 14psi on a sidemount with no issues at all. I did have the shroud which apparently makes a big difference (it forces the air through the IC). Chuck a cheap maplins temp sensor in the pipes (just squeeze it under a joiner) and see what the intake temps are. The ct26 is way out it's efficiency range at 14psi, mine used to hit full boost really quick then drop down to 10psi at around 5k rpm.
markstevieandmads

Just realised...i havent got a shroud from the vent to my intercooler so I'm guessing I'm losing a lot of the air coming in through the vent.

I know there is a gts Chris shroud which is no longer available and there is a seller selling a greedy Intercooler shroud on egay for £30 delivered.

However I still have my original shroud from the original intercooler so could I make this fit? Or I may possibly make my own which would be cheaper.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

markstevieandmads wrote:Just realised...i havent got a shroud from the vent to my intercooler so I'm guessing I'm losing a lot of the air coming in through the vent.

I know there is a gts Chris shroud which is no longer available and there is a seller selling a greedy Intercooler shroud on egay for £30 delivered.

However I still have my original shroud from the original intercooler so could I make this fit? Or I may possibly make my own which would be cheaper.

Np the stock shroud is a totally different thing altogether. The greddy shroud should fit as the sidemounts are all copies of the greddy anyway. The shroud sit all the way in the side vent. They are actually a total pain to fit haha :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

0.9 bars mint for a rev2 ... i ran water meth and fuel tuning to push higher ... enjoy your car at 0.9 bar its a nice (safe) amount of boost :thumleft:
markstevieandmads

Ryan S wrote:
markstevieandmads wrote:Just realised...i havent got a shroud from the vent to my intercooler so I'm guessing I'm losing a lot of the air coming in through the vent.

Np the stock shroud is a totally different thing altogether. The greddy shroud should fit as the sidemounts are all copies of the greddy anyway. The shroud sit all the way in the side vent. They are actually a total pain to fit haha :thumleft:

Just as bad as fitting another intercooler there?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

markstevieandmads wrote:
Ryan S wrote:

Just as bad as fitting another intercooler there?

Yeah very much so, the shroud fits to the side that's deepest into the vent (nearest the hole). So you're gonna have to take the intercooler out to fit it. Not a difficult job but in a fiddly area of the engine bay. It's one of those jobs where an extra arm would be handy!
markstevieandmads

Shouldn't be too bad then. I've had the intercooler in and out so many times now I can do it with my eyes closed.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

markstevieandmads wrote:Shouldn't be too bad then. I've had the intercooler in and out so many times now I can do it with my eyes closed.

Ach you'll be fine then 👍🏾
jon

Post by jon »

markstevieandmads wrote:
Down the motorway it was fine and was boosting up to 1bar with a bit of a very short spike to 1.1bar at one point. The car was fine.

I then hit the dual carriageway and boosted it again and the engine lost power and engine light came on then off. After that it wouldn't rev past 2k.
I took it easy and stopped when I could and turned the boost back down to 0.8-0.9 bar and reset the ecu and everything was back ok again. Full boosting.

It sounds like you hit fuel cut. Until the ECU is reset, it will prevent positive boost pressure.

Knock won't cause the engine light to come on, unless it was so severe that it broken the sensor. If that was the case the engine light will come on again after a reset as soon the engine gets to around 3000 rpm.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah i also think you've hit fuel cut. (Although definitely possible to detonate too, just unlikely) As i said i ran my rev2 with no issues at all, Next time just do the paperclip method for the codes before resetting. No need for fancy code readers. Just a paper clip and your eyes :thumleft:
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

2mad wrote:0.9 bars mint for a rev2 ... i ran water meth and fuel tuning to push higher ... enjoy your car at 0.9 bar its a nice (safe) amount of boost :thumleft:

0.9bar :yawn!!!!!! ...Mooooore boost please :D.
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

The ct26 isn't even remotely out of its effeciency range at 14psi. If you use the map of a t04-40 as a reference you'll see it's right in the middle island.

Single limitin factor is and always has been the turbine housing - its simply to small
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

mr2magic wrote:The ct26 isn't even remotely out of its effeciency range at 14psi. If you use the map of a t04-40 as a reference you'll see it's right in the middle island.

Single limitin factor is and always has been the turbine housing - its simply to small

Still can't hold 14psi of boost through the rev range :lol:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Ryan S wrote:
mr2magic wrote:The ct26 isn't even remotely out of its effeciency range at 14psi. If you use the map of a t04-40 as a reference you'll see it's right in the middle island.

Yes it will hold boost but the turbine is still chocking (i had one) ... ct20b simples :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

2mad wrote:
Ryan S wrote:

Yes it will hold boost but the turbine is still chocking (i had one) ... ct20b simples :thumleft:

Ow lol sorry ryan miss red your post :oops: ... i had a blitz turbo with bigger compressor it held boost to the redline but the turbine would still have been chocking ...

Anyhoo find a nice ct20b and enjoy some boost :thumleft:

Return to “Mechanical”