Thinking of taking a shot on one.

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

raffopj

Thinking of taking a shot on one.

Post by raffopj »

Ever since I saw the arp kitted mrs years ago I've wanted one.
So now I'm looking for a weekend motor once more and thinking of something cheap and cheerful.
At the minute in swaying towards an mrs as a bit of a project. I can't leave cars standard and would like to know how easy are these to work on, ie suspension brakes etc. Before maybe tackling an engine swap further down the road.

I'm also looking at it as a track and drag day car for a bit of fun. Anyone on here drag theirs? How do they hold up on track also?
I know 101 questions but would like to hear opinions and experiences from owners
MilesH

Re: Thinking of taking a shot on one.

Post by MilesH »

Not sure if you are new to MR2's or if you have worked on MK1's or MK2's? But I would say the MK3 is easier to work on than a MK2 but not as easy as a MK1.

Body panels are all bolt on and easy to swap.

Modifications are becoming increasingly plentiful and there a few options for more bhp.

Track car wise, they can pretty much be dropped on track as they are, just make sure it has decent pads and fresh fluid. But obviously the more tweaks/enhancements you make the better they become.
raffopj

Post by raffopj »

No haven't had the pleasure of driving or working on any mr2s tbh. I do love the mk1s and like the mk2s
MilesH

Post by MilesH »

raffopj wrote:No haven't had the pleasure of driving or working on any mr2s tbh. I do love the mk1s and like the mk2s

Hopefully you will like it then :)

Power wise I am sure you know that as standard they are far from a drag strip car, but track wise they handle nicely and it is a fairly decent chassis. More nimble than the mk2 but not as nimble as the mk1.

Comparison speed wise, a standard 1zz engined mk3 is a similar power to a mk1 mx5.

Hope that helps.
raffopj

Post by raffopj »

MilesH wrote:
raffopj wrote:No haven't had the pleasure of driving or working on any mr2s tbh. I do love the mk1s and like the mk2s

Power wise I am sure you know that as standard they are far from a drag strip car, but track wise they handle nicely and it is a fairly decent chassis. More nimble than the mk2 but not as nimble as the mk1.

Comparison speed wise, a standard 1zz engined mk3 is a similar power to a mk1 mx5.

Hope that helps.

It does. That's what I'm worried about.
Last jap motor was an evo4, approx 340bhp and the one before that was a 410bhp type r civic. Which were pretty snappy off the mark.
I my main worry is I'll buy one and end up spending money after money on styling and trying to get more power.......
2mad

Post by 2mad »

raffopj wrote:
MilesH wrote:

Hope that helps.

It does. That's what I'm worried about.
Last jap motor was an evo4, approx 340bhp and the one before that was a 410bhp type r civic. Which were pretty snappy off the mark.
I my main worry is I'll buy one and end up spending money after money on styling and trying to get more power.......

If your not going to spend mega cash 300hp's maybe bhp's your limit .. but they are so much fun :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”