[Mk2] [Generic] How calculate spring height/drop without taking them off ! ?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Spidey

[Mk2] [Generic] How calculate spring height/drop without taking them off ! ?

Post by Spidey »

I'm getting older ! So, thinking about comfort more than lowered stance etc.

I am looking to go from 17's to 16's but increased profile.

I am thinking to replace the springs. But, I'm under time pressure to get this done - so, don't have time to get someone to take the existing springs off and check what size and then possibly order new springs. I am looking to get H&R springs with a 20mm drop. The existing springs are from a friend with unknown make/origin !

I've 205/40/17 on the front and 205/45/17 on the rear. If anyone has the same tyre size on front or rear and they know how much their springs are lowered by (or if they are stock) and they could measure the gap from the top of the wheel to the top of the wheel arch.

It's not a very scientific way to gauge my current spring size ! But, i need to figure out if 20mm springs will raise my car or keep it the same. Once i know that, i can figure out what size wheels i can order.

TIA
Rob
SonicSW20

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] How calculate spring height/drop without taking them off ! ?

Post by SonicSW20 »

Springs will sag with age, so if they are old, you don't have a good reference point. Some people have found that their ride height has *increased* after installing new lowering springs because their old springs were so knackered!

You won't have any problems with those sizes with lowering springs, unless your wheel offsets are very low.

Out of interest, why are you running such a skinny rear tyre?
Spidey

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] How calculate spring height/drop without taking them off ! ?

Post by Spidey »

I haven't chosen the 16's yet. But i was thinking 205/50/16 front and 225/45/16 rear. This will mean my front will be pretty much the same height as the rear. My current setup on 17's has lower profile on the front and so, the car is pointing down and with a Border front sticking out a bit more, it isn't kerb friendly.

So, i had the issue of the car being too low at the front and then looking for a higher profile to get a slight increase in comfort

The overall diameter of my current setup is 59.58cm front and 61.63cm rear.

If i go with the above 16's, i'll have 61.14cm front (so, the 1.56cm height gain in the front and the lowering of the back should give an overall front gain of about 2cm) car won't touch the kerbs) and 60.89cm rear. This is why i wanted to figure out if the 1.56cm raise in the front will fit with current or new springs.

I got a deal on the current tyres - that's why i don't have wider on the rear :oops:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Doh, completely missed that bit!

On 16's, 205/45R16 front and 225/45R16 rear work really well. You can go up to 205/50R16 and 225/50R16, and you'll have no problems with ~ET35 wheels in 7J and 8J width.

Unless the offsets are something silly, you won't have any issues with -20mm or -30mm springs.
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

Sorry for late reply. Last few weeks hectic.

I went with 205/45/17 front and 225/45/17 rear.

Now, i have a new problem. Moved house and the 2 won't go into the underground parking without going up on planks of wood :(

So, i need to raise my car.

Dilemma is that i don't know what the current springs are - could be 20mm, maybe 40mm. If they are 40mm,I'd be okay going with 20mm. But if they are 20mm, I'll prob need to go back to stock.

All i know so far is they are red. Need to take the wheel off this evening to see if i can see any markings on the springs.

And with current springs, the rear with 225/45/17 is sitting right on the wherl arch. Based on that, would they more than likely be 40mm?

Also, could anyone count the coils on 20/40mm springs? I know they may be wound differently but hopefully i could see an approx similar amount of coils on the 40mm vs 20mm

TIA
Rob
synXero

Post by synXero »

I'd bet we could guess if it was 20 or 40mm from a side on pic mate :thumleft:

Also I could be wrong - a bit out of touch with 2s - but fairly sure 245/45/17 is too tall and your speedo will be out... 245/40/17 is the correct size! Just a FYI for next time
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

They're 225, not 245 but i agree - prob still going to have my speedo out a bit. I'll dig out the stock wheel sizes and calculate it later

Return to “Modifications”