[Mk2] [Generic] Vertically Challenged !

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Spidey

[Mk2] [Generic] Vertically Challenged !

Post by Spidey »

Okay, i am only 170cm (for non-Brexiters) / 5'7" (for Brexiters) :D

And my wife is even more vertically challenged than me - 5'3".

She drives my car every now and again and always complains how low it is. The seat in the car - not just the car itself.

I looked to get a seat height adjustment "kit". I didn't see anything online. So, i noticed that if i raised it at the back of the seat, that would probably do. I found long bolts and 1" threaded nuts (i think they are used as joiners).

The bolt threads fine into the "joiner" but the thread pitch must be different to the standard 14mm bolt that holds the back of the seat down.

Anyone ever done this ? And if so, what did they use / where did they get them ?

Any help appreciated :thumleft:

TIA
Spidey
androo007

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Vertically Challenged !

Post by androo007 »

Put a cushion on the seat.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

I believe the standard thread pitch is M10x1.25 (fine) for seat bolts :thumleft:

Don't go too much higher though as you'll be increasing the shear force on the bolts if you crash (that is if they're even long enough to go through the coupler and then thread into the floorpan) :shock:

Also you may struggle if you're only lifting the rear as the bolt will no longer be going through level to the floor ie. you'll change the angle of the bolt
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

CalMac wrote:I believe the standard thread pitch is M10x1.25 (fine) for seat bolts :thumleft:

Don't go too much higher though as you'll be increasing the shear force on the bolts if you crash (that is if they're even long enough to go through the coupler and then thread into the floorpan) :shock:

This was the first thing I thought of, I would avoid that idea completely, A cushion on the seat may not be a bad idea.

Just to add, I seen a friend have to get cut out of an Mr2 after a 40mph collision with a lamp post...I wouldn't be adjusting the seats like that. The though of they bolts breaking gives me the shivers 😳
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Only downside to a cushion is that you'll lose any side bolster support :(
androo007

Post by androo007 »

My sister is 5'2" and has adopted that option for the last 14 years :lol:

Aftermarket seats are another option but either £2.50 for a fix or £250 + to look a bit ar$e......
Nic

Post by Nic »

Image + Image

I'll get m'coat...... :clown:
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo

Return to “Modifications”