Nice and Shiny

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

David_Aston

Nice and Shiny

Post by David_Aston »

Hi every one,

Got a weird question selling my car soon (to get a TVR 3000M so please don’t kill me) and before it goes I want to give the engine a good scrub as I’m not good at poring oil. Any idea on what to use to get it clean and what to remove before I start so I don’t flood it.

Thanks
Patrick Gray

Re: Nice and Shiny

Post by Patrick Gray »

I usually cover all electrical components with plastic sheets.Then cover in Gunk and allow it to work its way in for a while.Hose it all off and run the car until the engine bay dries out.After that i cover the entire engine bay in Autoglym vinyl and rubber cleaner.It starts off going a creamy colour but after a few minutes all the hoses come up to a brilliant black shine.
disco stu k

stuff

Post by disco stu k »

Dave, i`ve used gunk and just a generic alchol based aerosol cleaner from halfords (not beer), the aerosol is ok, spray on engine when cool, spray a bit on cloth and wipe away, the gunk is real heavy duty stuff, i think it says to rinse with water, but don`t quote me on that. Even a small amount of white spirits will work, just don`t go made as it degrades rubber pipes, not that it matters if your selling it!!!! just leave for 10 mins before starting to ensure all the vapour has disipated

stu

Return to “Mechanical”