Snetterton Track Evening - 14th June

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Will be attending this session at Snetterton: http://www.msvtrackdays.com/car/calenda ... n-eve.aspx

£79 for over 2hrs of unlimited track time, depending on how good your cooling and brakes are!

There will be at least one other MR2 there, so let me know if you're interested.
SonicSW20

Re: Snetterton Track Evening - 14th June

Post by SonicSW20 »

Bump.

Only £59 now!
JD

Post by JD »

I'm quite tempted by this since I've just realised Snetterton is only about an hour from my folks' place in Suffolk :-k
wilko1985

Post by wilko1985 »

This sounds very tempting indeed.

Gazza, how does your MR2 handle reliablity wise when hammering it for a couple hours at a time?

I'm very close to finishing my MR2 to be ready for the track. i just need to add Tyres. Is there anything i should watch out for, for my first time?

Ive currently upgraded:
Suspension
Poly bushes
Strut Brace
Intercooler
Decat
Brakes

The only thing I can think will go wrong is the engine blowing up :)
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

I wouldn't hammer it for 2 hours straight!

That's the good thing about open pitlane format track days - you enter and leave the track on your own schedule.

Personally I wouldn't do much more than 20 minutes at once - do a cooldown lap (very important) and give the car and driver a bit of a rest.
The one time I pushed this to 30 minutes, I cooked my alternator :lol:

Something may break - any weak point on the car will be stressed more than normal. Make sure your critical components are all in good condition!

Cool down laps are important - if you dive straight into the pits, park up and turn the car off, the temperatures of everything will increase rapidly as there's no airflow to cool things down. This can actually break stuff. So, when you want to come in, just do one more lap (half a lap at Snetterton 300 will be fine, it's a long track) where you take it a bit easier, to allow the car to cool down. Obviously be mindful of others who aren't on a cool down.

Don't go 100% attack straight out of the pits - ease into it, especially on your first trip out. It's open pitlane, you have plenty of time to learn the track and enjoy driving on it. It's not a race against other people or the clock.

Unless you are running track spec pads/discs and good DOT5.1 fluid, your brake performance will drop when they get over a certain temperature, so be mindful of that. If you start to feel that happening, ease off, and allow them to cool down. If you currently have DOT4, replace it with DOT5.1 DOT4 will boil very quickly.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

They do offer tuition as well, so take advantage of that if you haven't driven on a track before :thumleft:
JD

Post by JD »

I'll be there in the Roadster \:D/
wilko1985

Post by wilko1985 »

Awesome, thanks for the advice gazza. Most useful.

Ah yes I've upped the breaks to ebc disks and yellow stuff pads with 5.1 and braided lines. I've had a fair bit of the chassis parts replaced so the main concern is the engine now.... or spinning it and spanking it into the wall haha.

I'll definitely book up on this so count me in. Hopefully see you there pal, I could do with more advice :lol:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

This event has sold out, reserve list available via the link in the OP.
wilko1985

Post by wilko1985 »

No Worries, Im going to book up Rockingham for 7th July if you're interested in that one too?
MikeyB571

Post by MikeyB571 »

Hey guys,

I'll be doing the daytime trackday so will hang around and say hi when you guys arrive.
JD

Post by JD »

Cool - see ya there :)
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

JD

Post by JD »

I now realise this has to be one of the worst tracks for mx-5s. I'll spend most of my time, indicator flashing, trundling up the very long straights as everything else comes hurtling past :lol:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Bentley Straight and Senna Straight are quite wide so there's plenty of room - just pay attention to the overtaking rules in the briefing and you'll be fine :thumleft:

Last time I was there people were very good with overtaking and respecting slower cars ahead of them in the corners. I think the open pit lane format allows people to chill out a little, with sessions people tend to go full attack because they only have a limited time slot.

As it's open pit as well, if you do encounter anyone being an absolute xxxx, do your cool down lap, pit, and talk to race control.
JD

Post by JD »

I'm really looking forward to it :)
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

60-80% probability of rain this evening... Not good.

Not keen on wet tracks - it's one thing keeping your own car in check, but quite another trusting others when grip is so reduced.

I'll still be there, but going out on track will depend on conditions.
MikeyB571

Post by MikeyB571 »

It's lovely here at the moment.
Really grippy and it's been threatening to rain all day :)
JD

Post by JD »

Hey Gaz just to inspire some confidence I'm still running Nankang NS2 on the back.

I've not got my roll bar yet so I'll be taking it nice and steady anyway.

It's been p1$$ing it down all day here in east Suffolk. I'm going via Norwich to pick up a big long cable for my camera which the marshals will probably make me take off anyway. Aiming to be down there about 16:30.
JD

Post by JD »

Update - weather report suggests it will be raining throughout track time. Look on the bright side, that's less tyre wear.

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”