Stereo wiring / power antenna

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jon_st205

Stereo wiring / power antenna

Post by jon_st205 »

Hi all,

Just de-bodgifying some stuff the Japanese owner left on the SE, one issue of which was a birds nest of bullet connectors and scotch locks on the stereo.

So I'm fitting a standard ISO connector for my stereo using the colour guides - simple enough stuff. However my stereo doesn't have a pin-out for the power antenna. On a previous car I just wired the ACC wire direct to the power antenna so it always raised, however on the mk1 it raises the antenna but doesn't lower when I turn the car off. I guess it's a different system on the mk1? Any guidance please? I'm probably one of the few who kinda likes the old-school power antenna, so would like to retain it. Not sure if it's related or not, but for whatever reason the fella had wired in a separate earth for the stereo (connected on a ring connector to the cage), rather than use the standard brown wire - could that be related?

Cheers,
Jon
jimi

Re: Stereo wiring / power antenna

Post by jimi »

If you still have the original MK1 aerial with the blue relay in the boot then it needs a signal for up AND a signal for down, unlike most electrical aerials that go up with a signal and go down when the signal is removed.
IIRC Pink/Blue wire is the up signal and Black/Red wire (at the harness behind the stereo) is down.
I seem to remember if you join the two wires together and connect to the ACC it will go up and down with the ignition, but I may not be remembering correctly :oops:
jon_st205

Post by jon_st205 »

Amazing help, thanks Jimi, that would back up my experience with it so far, so I'll give that a try! What do you think ground-wise, use the factory brown, or give it a separate one on the cage? Nowt to do with the antenna, just trying to do the 'right' thing for the car.

While I have you, I don't suppose you know the what wire colour is what on the factory UK rear fog switch? I've sourced a switch with pigtails to convert the o/s reverse light.

Cheers,
Jon
jimi

Post by jimi »

The factory ground should be fine, works OK on mine.
Fog light is Red/Green from the the switch to the light, Red/White from the fog light relay to the switch (fog light relay is only energised when the light switch is in the headlight position)
jon_st205

Post by jon_st205 »

Thanks, just to confirm for anyone coming across this thread later, what you said worked bob on for the aerial, though I think it might black/red up and pink/blue down....not that it makes much difference of course. Might add a switch at a later date but for now at least the audio is tidied up, 100% working, and 'safe'.

The headlights are doing a dance on going down, I've tried two retract control relay boxes and it does appear to be better for a time with a little WD, but does return to the dancing. Reckon the 2nd one I bought might have been duff too, anyone got a known-good one for not too much dollar?

Jon
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

jon_st205 wrote:Thanks, just to confirm for anyone coming across this thread later, what you said worked bob on for the aerial, though I think it might black/red up and pink/blue down....not that it makes much difference of course. Might add a switch at a later date but for now at least the audio is tidied up, 100% working, and 'safe'.

The headlights are doing a dance on going down, I've tried two retract control relay boxes and it does appear to be better for a time with a little WD, but does return to the dancing. Reckon the 2nd one I bought might have been duff too, anyone got a known-good one for not too much dollar?

Jon

I am pretty sure I have a spare relay box, let me have a look and let you know. Would only want postage.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
jon_st205

Post by jon_st205 »

Cheers, I've had a look in both the control boxes and can't see anything obviously wrong - dry, and nothing burned/domed etc. I did see a youtube comment from someone suggesting that it's a particular solder joint that goes dry and comes away from the board, so I guess I could have another look at that.

Someone else said that the Celica ST162 box is the same too, and my other classic project happens to be a ST162 with headlights behaving properly - so I'll try swapping that in after I get home from work.
jimi

Post by jimi »

jon_st205 wrote:
Someone else said that the Celica ST162 box is the same too, and my other classic project happens to be a ST162 with headlights behaving properly - so I'll try swapping that in after I get home from work.

Indeed :thumleft:
1987/89 Celica ST16# and 1987/89 Corolla AE92 both use the same Retract Control relay as the MK1
Might be worth trying both your relays in your Celica, would prove if they are faulty or not :wink:
davidb

Post by davidb »

Pink/blue wire powers the interior clock, stereo and aerial power, it's a switched live, but I think the aerial lower is powered by the dome light live so it can lower when the car is deactivated.

I fitted a 90's Celica aerial to mine and it fits fine - it has the relay in place, all you do is swap the connector over. It looks standard as well.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”