Passenger window help - 1989 G 1.6

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Bentley58

Passenger window help - 1989 G 1.6

Post by Bentley58 »

Coming to a point in the project and I'm stuck!

Passenger window currently down. Reported intermittent when purchased car. Nothing happens when either drivers or passenger buttons pressed. (Window lock checked).

I've got the door card off and started to investigate. Tried another passenger switch but not joy. Even read an article to arc the switch to get the window back up. No joy

So I've a second hand regulator. But it looks a nightmare job to exchange.

So what to do? Anyone suffered or heard of this and how to fix. Or what it sounds like. There's no noise or clunking ....dead as...

CHEERS RICH
PW@Woodsport

Re: Passenger window help - 1989 G 1.6

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Throw 12v and ground directly to the motor wires to diagnose if the motor is dead or if the problem is on the relay/fuses/switches/wiring.

Do you know how to use a multimeter too?
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

If it does turn out to be the power window relay box in the drivers door, drop me a PM, I have a spare you can have for postage cost.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
jimi

Post by jimi »

Tiamat wrote:If it does turn out to be the power window relay box in the drivers door, drop me a PM, I have a spare you can have for postage cost.

The relay only controls the drivers window, not the passengers one. If the switch for the passengers window on the drivers door is faulty then the passengers door switch won't work. both switches are (in effect) in series.

PW@Woodsport wrote:
Do you know how to use a multimeter too?

If you do then it's easy to check with the meter at the passengers door and see if voltage is coming from the drivers side. The link I posted above has the wiring diagram for the power windows on it.
Personally I'd double check the window lock switch on the drivers door is in the correct position as this sounds exactly like its locked. The lock button cuts power to the passengers window only, doesn't effect the drivers window.
Another reason for checking with a meter is that it is not uncommon to get a broken wire in the flexi conduit between the door and body (could be either door).
Bentley58

Post by Bentley58 »

Hi all, to update.charge through the motor has got the window back up. Result for now. So that's a good start to solving this. Will read through above posts carefully to move forward. At least I don't have to go through the nightmare of the regulator etc swap.

Thanks all above, richard
Bentley58

Post by Bentley58 »

Hi all, to update.charge through the motor has got the window back up. Result for now. So that's a good start to solving this. Will read through above posts carefully to move forward. At least I don't have to go through the nightmare of the regulator etc swap.

Thanks all above, richard
Bentley58

Multimeter

Post by Bentley58 »

I've an old one but not too sure. If you have a way of me checking sections of the window wiring etc I can send a pic of multimeter and follow a pathway.

Anything that helps I will obviously do

Richard
jimi

Post by jimi »

With everything connected as normal, ignition on will the window go up or down from either switch (drivers or passengers ?
If you have a meter check that it will read 12v DC (check it across the battery)
Download and print the 2 diagrams in this zip file, you will need them.
http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/ocdownloads/Zip% ... indows.zip
Bentley58

Test

Post by Bentley58 »

In my experience with the window it does not go up on either button. The only function I have witnessed is with the down direction button on the passenger window moving the window downwards as it should.

I have not attempted down on the drivers side/ as above the up doesn't operate.

The only upward movement has been from direct battery to motor to enable the window to be put back into the up/closed position.

Rich
jimi

Post by jimi »

That's not what I asked.
Try it now with everything connected as normal from both sets of controls and report back i.e.
Drivers side controls, passengers window
up - yes/no
down - yes/no
Passengers side controls, passengers window
up - yes/no
down - yes/no

Any / all the info you collect now, helps to narrow down the problem :wink:
Bentley58

Test results

Post by Bentley58 »

Ok here we go....

Drivers switch:

Drivers window UP - YES
Drivers Window Down - YES
Passenger Window Up - NO
Passenger Window Down - YES

Window Lock test - ON Window up/down NO
OFF Window up - NO
Window Down - YES

Passenger Switch:

Window up - NO
Window Down - YES

Kind Regards,

Richard
jimi

Post by jimi »

To recap the motor will go up and down by applying 12v to it (Red and Green wires, one way for down and reversed for up) ?
That being the case looking at the results of the other post it looks like a faulty switch. Seeing as you have replaced the passengers switch it's unlikely (but not impossible) that the fault is on the drivers side switch.
To check, set your meter to read DC volts (check across the battery that it is actually reading)
Take the plug out of the passengers side switch and connect the meter across pins 1 and 5 of the plug (not the switch) wire colours should be 1=Green and 5=red/blue
With the ignition on hold the drivers side switch (for the passengers window) in the down position and check the meter, should be reading 12v
Repeat with the switch in the up position, it should also read 12v (but opposite polarity)
Try the tests and report back.
Bentley58

Will do this morning

Post by Bentley58 »

Many thanks Jimi,

Will report back,

Kind regards richard
Bentley58

Post by Bentley58 »

http://s757.photobucket.com/user/theref ... 6.jpg.html]Image[/URL]

URL=http://s757.photobucket.com/user/theref ... 0.jpg.html]Image[/URL]

Ok, from top left as 1, bottom left 2, anti clockwise next to the right 3, then 4 and 5 top right.

Numbers 2 and 4 gave the only 12v DC voltage (blue and red/blue)

From the drivers door switches the passenger window kept the DC charge in neutral and in downwards selection. The DC charge dropped to O when pressed up.

Hope this confirms or helps,

Richard
jimi

Post by jimi »

No it doesn't help, it's not what I asked for and your numbering is incorrect.
The article link I posted earlier shows the correct Toyota method for
numbering of the plug and the wire colours. Numbering is (looking at the front of the plug)
Top Left = 1
Top right = 2
Bottom Left = 3
Bottom Middle = 4
Bottom Right = 5

Colours are
1= Green [from/to drivers side switch]
2= Green [motor]
3= Blue [+12v from fuse]
4= Red [motor]
5= Red/Blue [from/to drivers switch]

Take the plug out of the passengers side switch and connect the meter across pins 1 and 5 of the plug (not the switch) wire colours should be 1=Green and 5=red/blue (there will be no voltage until you press the switch on the drivers side)

With the ignition on, hold the drivers side switch (for the passengers window) in the down position and check the meter, should be reading 12v (if you don't get 12v with the switch pressed then you don't have the meter connected correctly or your meter is set wrongly)

Repeat with the switch in the up position, it should also read 12v (but opposite polarity) in your case I suspect (and it's what I'm trying to confirm) you won't get any voltage in the up position.
Bentley58

Task

Post by Bentley58 »

Will do on Wednesday night at report back,

Many thanks :)

Richard
Bentley58

Post by Bentley58 »

Jimi,

Test done. As you suspected from drivers side, using passenger switch, voltage when in down position, no voltage when in up position. Be pleased to know what the next step or advice will be.

Many thanks at this point,

Richard
jimi

Post by jimi »

Do the same test again at the drivers side switch BUT leave the leave the drivers switch connected and connect the meter at the back of the plug. Colours are the same Green and Red/Blue pin numbers are 1 & 6 (which are opposite each other at the same end) and operate the passengers switch (on the drivers side) If you get the same result i.e. voltage on down and no voltage up then it looks like the drivers side switch is faulty. We can confirm with another test after this one
Bentley58

Will do tonight ( Thursday )

Post by Bentley58 »

Thanks Jimi,

Playing nine holes after work so will do tonight after dinner and report back.
Just love those nights with a torch and garage light on :)

regards

Richard
Bentley58

Post by Bentley58 »

Hi Jimi,

Test complete. Similar result. DOWN= voltage moves up,
UP= voltage barely movimg off zero.

Rich[/list]

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”