Stock spring rates

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

IanClements

Stock spring rates

Post by IanClements »

Does anyone know what the stock spring rates are front and rear? I'm looking at a set of BC's but not sure which springs to go for so trying to get an idea for comparison.
IanClements

Re: Stock spring rates

Post by IanClements »

I managed to find a useful table on spring rates in the end.

http://www.padandwheels.com/mr2/suspens ... nsion.html
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

It's really hard to work in lb/in though as all the JDM springs are metric of course.

The front spring rate is very, very low, not that surprised though. They are unsurprisingly low, though being under 2kg on the front apparently and less than 3kg on the rears for stock springs.

Probably 3kg front 5kg rear is getting there for a road car. This is what the TRD rates are.

For more track type stuff, 4/6kg perhaps?

What rates are the BC's?
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

It's also important to factor in the V6 engine sat in this car, you're not dealing with stock.
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

I noticed that the TRD springs were about 3/5kg so that's what I asked for. Unfortunately BC are having stock issues with the 3kg springs so I've had to settle for 4/6 instead. At least I know I'll be able to change them further down the line if I want to.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Good point, Paul. If the V6 is a cast iron block it's going to be a fair bit heavier. 4/6kg sounds more like it. :+:
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

Good point, Paul. If the V6 is a cast iron block it's going to be a fair bit heavier. 4/6kg sounds more like it. [thumbsup]

Ahem, alloy. :oldtongue:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

How does the overall weight compare to the 4AGE setup?
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

Guessing at an extra 50kg but Paul could answer that better than me.
Angpozzuto

Post by Angpozzuto »

IanClements wrote:Guessing at an extra 50kg but Paul could answer that better than me.

My 1mz mk1 weighed in 1030kg with 3/4 of a tank of fuel not sure how heavy a stock mk1 is though
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

A MK1a is 1030kg totally stock. The lightest version of course.

MK1b sunroof 1050kg.

Think a t-bar is around 1085kg, trying to remember!

Mark's SEs was 1160kg with a t-bar. Heavy indeed!

So unless a 1MZ is a fair bit lighter I'd be suprised at that weight, unless the car is stripped out of course.
Angpozzuto

Post by Angpozzuto »

Mine's a mk1b sunroof my mechanic weighed it for me because we were having a similar conversation and he wanted to end the debate. It's not stripped out at all has no body mods at all has coilovers and polybush kit. The Only interior mod is the seats were replaced with mk4 golf gti recaros but I doubt that would make a huge difference over stock
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

There's around 30kgs difference between a stock Mk1 and a 1mz V6 version.
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

Just got my coilovers today and there could be a problem. Looking at the fronts where they attach to the hub, the lower bolt hole is a different size to the upper hole which I don't think is right going by memory. Does anyone know if the MK1a is different to the b (which i have), just thinking they might be for an early car.

kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Front susension is the same on both apart from the top mounts which are 3 bolt on early cars and 4 on later ones. There are some differences at the rear though.

Assuming your bolt fits through the lower hole then I'd imagine that the upper hole is enlarged in order to allow the camber adjuster to work
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

Thanks for that, was panicking slightly as I'm desperate to get them in this weekend.

It's strange thought that the bolt holes on the rears match larger size of the upper hole on the front except the one is elongated for the adjuster.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Does it not have pillowball top mounts for camber adjustment? You'd think it if does you wouldn't need to use the camber bolts.
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

I had a proper look at it tonight and checked all the bolt sizes on my car. The rears use 19mm and the BC strut matches this with a elongated hole for the upper. However, the fronts use 17mm and the BC's have a 17mm lower but 19mm upper hole (not elongated) so technically they would fit but it doesn't seem right to me.

Eveything else fits correctly including droplink brackets, top mounts and brake line clips just this thing with the holes. My supplier's speaking to BC tomorrow about it.

The front top mount is camber adjustable so no real need for the stock adjuster but the bolts are just normal anyway.
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Having the standard adjusters working combined with adjustable top mounts allow you to adjust kingpin inclination independently of camber so it still has some value.

KPI is the angle formed by a line between the two pivot points at the top and bottom of the strut compared to the vertical (when viewed from the front of the car) whereas camber is the angle of the face of the wheel compared to vertical. KPI is relevant when you start running non-standard offsets as it allows you to correct scrub radius etc.

Using the standard adjusters is actually the 'correct' way to adjust camber as it doesn't change KPI whereas adjusting the top mount adjusts both. If you were doing things correctly you'd use the top mount to set your KPI then use the factory adjuster to set camber however in reality most people wouldn't even consider the KPI.
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

Just when I thought I knew it all, lol.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”