[Mk2] [Turbo] MP3 Stereo

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2nut123

[Mk2] [Turbo] MP3 Stereo

Post by mr2nut123 »

I'm looking to get a single DIN stereo that has MP3 and USB connection for my MK2. I can't seem to find one anywhere, with most only being compatible with the MK3s.

Does anyone have recommendations? I'm ideally looking for something to be plug and plug into the MK2 standard system so even I can do it :wink:
stuMR2lee

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] MP3 Stereo

Post by stuMR2lee »

Nothing will be plug & play due to the Toyota non-standard wiring.

You just need a wiring adapter. The type will depend on whether you still have stock unmolested wiring behind your head unit. Thats when the fun begins :lol:

Have a look at the wiring and maybe post up a picture. We can then tell you what you'll need.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

stuMR2lee wrote:Nothing will be plug & play due to the Toyota non-standard wiring.

You just need a wiring adapter. The type will depend on whether you still have stock unmolested wiring behind your head unit. Thats when the fun begins :lol:

Have a look at the wiring and maybe post up a picture. We can then tell you what you'll need.

Is there a lot of wire cutting and splicing then with the MK2? It currently has an old school Panasonic MiniDisc double DIN Japan special in it :D
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

No, as long as the stock wiring hasn't been butchered then you simply buy the correct wiring adapter. There's a couple of variations depending on whether your car is fitted with one of the active systems or not.
If you remove the stereo that's currently fitted and take a photo of the wiring behind there, we can tell you what you need.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Gazza_DJ wrote:No, as long as the stock wiring hasn't been butchered then you simply buy the correct wiring adapter. There's a couple of variations depending on whether your car is fitted with one of the active systems or not.
If you remove the stereo that's currently fitted and take a photo of the wiring behind there, we can tell you what you need.

Will do. Have a few days off soon so will get the shots. Cheers guys!
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Fitted a sony mp3/bluetooth single din headunit within a few weeks of getting my car.

The loom adaptor was under £20 and not a single wire cut was needed. Even the power aerial worked and it dimmed when the lights come on.

Pick the single din unit you want and just get the wire adaptor.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

pbmr2 wrote:Fitted a sony mp3/bluetooth single din headunit within a few weeks of getting my car.

The loom adaptor was under £20 and not a single wire cut was needed. Even the power aerial worked and it dimmed when the lights come on.

Literally any unit could work with an adapter? I'm not very up on stereos as you can tell.. is there a standard basically that I should look for for example?

I was thinking of this:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 13&alt=web
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Someone had butchered my loom directly to the old headunit,

I bought this, cut it in half, wired and soldered the part I needed directly to the Toyota loom to make any stereo a generic fit and the other bit to my old stereo, 11 or 12 wires altogether, took around 20 minutes, give or take...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260796907209? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Final bill.... £2.39 :mrgreen:
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

mr2nut123 wrote:
pbmr2 wrote:Fitted a sony mp3/bluetooth single din headunit within a few weeks of getting my car.

Literally any unit could work with an adapter? I'm not very up on stereos as you can tell.. is there a standard basically that I should look for for example?

I was thinking of this:

Can't say much about that unit, weather it's ok or not but looking at it's wiring that would be no problem at all.

They are called ISO adaptors. Halfrauds do them as do many other audio places. There are 2 types, one for the basic 6 speaker setup and one for the active amp 7/8 speaker setup. Plug and play. Took about 20 mins to fit my headunit (once I worked out how to take the trim off!)
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

pbmr2 wrote:
mr2nut123 wrote:

I was thinking of this:

Can't say much about that unit, weather it's ok or not but looking at it's wiring that would be no problem at all.

They are called ISO adaptors. Halfrauds do them as do many other audio places. There are 2 types, one for the basic 6 speaker setup and one for the active amp 7/8 speaker setup. Plug and play. Took about 20 mins to fit my headunit (once I worked out how to take the trim off!)

Ok, so here are the photos. Stereo gurus... which harness do I need for my system :-)

mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

well looks like you dodge a bullet. Most of the chopped wires look like they are on a part that won't be used on the next headunit.

you see the 2 white plugs. These are the car loom. A new head unit will have a small plug like the one in the back of your current headunit, then a larger pair of rectangular plugs, these are ISO plugs.
You need the adaptor that goes between the car loom and the ISO plugs.

So compared to your current setup, you'll end up with an extra bit of loom in there.

headunit<->headunitwires<->ISO adaptor<->car loom.

if you don't have the active amp system then this lead will work for any modern headunit.
https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/autolea ... o-mr2.html

Years ago they used to do headunit->to->car loom adaptors.. now the headunit is iso and older cars need iso to loom adaptors. slightly more wiring to stuff behind the headunit but very simple and easy to fit.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

pbmr2 wrote:well looks like you dodge a bullet. Most of the chopped wires look like they are on a part that won't be used on the next headunit.

you see the 2 white plugs. These are the car loom. A new head unit will have a small plug like the one in the back of your current headunit, then a larger pair of rectangular plugs, these are ISO plugs.
You need the adaptor that goes between the car loom and the ISO plugs.

So compared to your current setup, you'll end up with an extra bit of loom in there.

headunit<->headunitwires<->ISO adaptor<->car loom.

if you don't have the active amp system then this lead will work for any modern headunit.

Years ago they used to do headunit->to->car loom adaptors.. now the headunit is iso and older cars need iso to loom adaptors. slightly more wiring to stuff behind the headunit but very simple and easy to fit.

I'm still a bit confused. How do I tell if I have the active system or not?

So that cable above just goes into the back of the new headunit into the black port, then just unplug the current white plugs and plug the other side of the converter cable into the cars white plugs?
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

do you have speakers low down behind the seats? if so then you will have the active system. 6 speakers (2 indoors, 2 by mirrors, 2 under rear side windows) is non active, 7 or 8 speakers is the active system. the extra 2 speakers are on the front face of the 'box' behind the seats.

re the lead in the link.
the stereo has a lead that goes in the back, the other end of that goes in the cable from the link, the other end of the cable from the link goes into the car loom. like an extra bit in the middle of what your current setup has.

it's just the way the stereos went. easier to make them all output to a single style of plug (iso) and then you only need a converter from iso to car.. rather than a converter for every headunit to every car.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

pbmr2 wrote:do you have speakers low down behind the seats? if so then you will have the active system. 6 speakers (2 indoors, 2 by mirrors, 2 under rear side windows) is non active, 7 or 8 speakers is the active system. the extra 2 speakers are on the front face of the 'box' behind the seats.

re the lead in the link.
the stereo has a lead that goes in the back, the other end of that goes in the cable from the link, the other end of the cable from the link goes into the car loom. like an extra bit in the middle of what your current setup has.

it's just the way the stereos went. easier to make them all output to a single style of plug (iso) and then you only need a converter from iso to car.. rather than a converter for every headunit to every car.

No speakers on the front of the boxes, just carpet. They're completely empty inside. Which cable would I need then?
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

the one in the link I posted above..

mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

pbmr2 wrote:the one in the link I posted above..

Sorry, was on mobile and didn't see #-o :)

Cheers for that!
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

pbmr2 wrote:the one in the link I posted above..

I was given a headunit and I thought it was faulty as the speakers were a bit crackly after installing it using the above lead, so I went and bought a brand new unit but still got the same :( Sound like a dodgy earth? It WAS attached to the side of the mount brackets so I put it back there.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Well if the speakers are working then it's most likley old wires causing the issue. The stock plugs for the speakers are tough so more likley the wires they go through the door opening that are crushed or broken or full of water.

Could be rusty earths, but there are not too many on the non amped system.

Was the cracking from a good source of music? Like an MP3 of good quality?
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

pbmr2 wrote:Well if the speakers are working then it's most likley old wires causing the issue. The stock plugs for the speakers are tough so more likley the wires they go through the door opening that are crushed or broken or full of water.

Could be rusty earths, but there are not too many on the non amped system.

Was the cracking from a good source of music? Like an MP3 of good quality?

Found that the fault is actually to do with my Samsung S5! It's a bug where there's a heartbeat type of sound, loud popping every time you change a track using Google play. Hope they patch that soon :-(

The back left speaker crackles a bit so will take a look at the wiring this weekend and report back :thumleft:

Return to “Electrical”