BRAIDED BRAKE HOSE PROBLEM

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tony jinxy froude

BRAIDED BRAKE HOSE PROBLEM

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Hi Guys, some help needed please.
Ive bought a set of Goodrich braided brake hoses for the MK1, ive only got round to fitting one at the moment, the drivers side front,. the problem I have is that its weeping from the union where the original hard pipe comes through into the inner arch area from under the frunk & joins the braided pipe, the union is quite long & snugly fitted quite a long way inside the old rubber pipe, however the braided pipe isn't as deep & so a fair amount of the union is visible once tightened, since the union is tapered slightly its not sealing as well as it did on the old set up. anyone have a cure or fix for this that has worked on their own MK1 rather than replacing all the hard pipes all over the car ? if you can help, i'd like to hear from you, cheers guys, Jinxy
kaiowas

Re: BRAIDED BRAKE HOSE PROBLEM

Post by kaiowas »

Hi Jinxy,

I vaguely recall having a similar issue many years ago trying to fit Goodridge hoses onto a mk1. I found that the thread would only engage a couple of turns making it impossible to tighten them up properly without risking stripping the threads.

My solution in the end was to use HEL lines instead. I've probably still got the Goodridge ones lying around somewhere unused.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I've had this many times when installing Goodridge onto customers cars, the solution was to make new hardlines with shorter pipe fittings at the hose end.
Tony jinxy froude

That's what I was hoping to avoid Paul but looks like what I will have to do, are the unions a standard size ? There is a good car parts shop near me that still make brake lines to order, but I want to make sure they have the correct ends. Also can't for the life of me remember if the lines that run the length of the car to rear are joined at the rear somewhere ? Otherwise I'm going to have to rip all the brake lines out just to change the ends. Cheers guys for your input it really helps, Jinxy
mark35

Brake lines

Post by mark35 »

I fitted HEL to my car had no trouble at all. Properly be cheaper to buy the HEL ones then getting new lines made up and the time to fit them.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

The front lines just run from the master cylinder, not hard to replace and yes just standard fittings, the rear ones run from a T splitter just above the front torque mount.
Tony jinxy froude

Cheers Paul, I managed to get the off side front line with new unions done today & it worked a treat, even though the new unions were the same size as the OEM ones, with the exception that the thread runs all the way down as opposed to having a blank section at the bottom, so you actually get more thread inside the braided hose connection, just the other three to do now !!, well at least it'll have new lines anyway 👍

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”